We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Lion King - Dress Code?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
The Lion King - Dress Code?

Hi all,

I am planning on seeing a matinee performance of The Lion King when I am in NY in July. Just wondering is there a dress code, will I look out of place in a tshirt shorts and flip flops? It should be pretty hot in July and I plan on exploring Manhatten in the morning then heading over to see the show. Or would it be best to make my way back to my hostel on the Upper West Side and dress up a bit for the show?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Lion King - Dress Code?

You'll be more comfortable in more stable walking shoes than flip flops. No one will care what you are wearing at Lion King but it will probably be cool with the air conditioning so I'd re evaluate this question when you are here in July if I were you.

…typepad.com/explorenyc/2010/02/getting-arou…

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,300 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Lion King - Dress Code?

It would be better for you to change first. While it is true that theaters do not have dress codes, and that there will likely be people there in a state of even sloppier dress than you, it is still not appropriate to go to the theater in shorts and flip flops. Besides which, the theater will be air conditioned, and you will be freezing by intermission.

And I hope you aren't actually planning to walk around in Manhattan in fliip flops, for the sake of yoru feet. You'll want supportive shoes.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Lion King - Dress Code?

Thanks for you input guys, I think I will probably head back to the hostel first and change into a nice dress or something. Forgot about the fact that it wouldn't even be be that warm in the theatre because of the air conditioning lol.

I'm sure I will be fine wandering around NY in flip flops (or Jandals as we call them here in NZ) I spent seven weeks exploring Europe last summer and pretty much lived in my Jandals the entire time! :-)

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The Lion King - Dress Code?

I second BB on the footwear selection - also tramping around all day in the hot summer and going into a heater, sweating with uncovered feet - would you like to be sitting next to yourself - use a bit of common sense, which I see you have considered.

Anyone who does this has no respect for others nor themselves....true there are no dress codes, however it doesn't take much to look halfway civilized......

Poppa

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Lion King - Dress Code?

The problem with flip flops is not their informality. It is that no one is going to scrub the sidewalk and the streets with soap and water before you come, and so by wearing flip flops in the heat you will invariably have sweaty and visibly dirty feet at the end of the day. Whether in a theater or a restaurant, no one else wants to look at, or to smell, your nearly bare dirty feet.

Hadn't that occurred to you?

6. Re: The Lion King - Dress Code?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, October 24, 2012