We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with this itinerary please.

Hamilton Ontario...
4 posts
Save Topic
help with this itinerary please.

We will be arriving at JFK on a Friday at 7am

figure we should be at our hotel by around 9am. Staying at the Super 8 Times Square.

Friday we would like to drop off the luggage and then: WTC site

St. Pauls

Then need something else in this general area to kill some time. Need to be at the Javits center for around 2pm.

Thought after dinner we would do the Times Square area stuff like ESB or TOTR. How does this sound? We are not really shoppers but would like to do the Macy's and Century 21 things just to say we did but not really sure where they are. Could someone please tell me how to get from the hotel to WTC by way of bus? Want to try to avoid subway as mom has hard time with stairs.

Thanks for any info

Alicia

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,062 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with this itinerary please.

You're arriving at at 7am and planning things for "after dinner"? Umm, don't you think you'll be tired?

I would drop the luggage, head down to the Staten Island ferry and take a roundtrip ride to see the Statue of Liberty. When you get back, head to WTC and St. Paul's. By then, your hotel room might be ready and you could freshen up and have a bite before heading over to the Javits Center. The ESB and TOTR are not that close and I wouldn't do them on the same day (if you do both). Century 21 is downtown near WTC, but I wouldn't do it if you're not shoppers. You'll hate it. Macy's is near the ESB.

To get from the hotel to the WTC or the Staten Island Ferry, take the #20 bus to the very end. Here's a bus map.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/index.html

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with this itinerary please.

Plenty to see and do downtown!! You may even want to return duing your stay here.

For example, in lower Manhattan you can do these within a 1 mile radius: Staten Island Ferry, Battery Park, Wall Street, Trinity Church, Subtreasurey Building, Museum of Finance, Century 21 (as you mentioned), Fulton Street, South Street Seaport. Century 21 is on Churrch STreet between Liberty and Dey Streets, directly across from the WTC/Ground Zero site.

There is so much to do in the area, and everything is close to each other. See these websites for lots of info about the downtown area. I work down there, and if the weather is good, it is lovely to simply walk around and check out the architecture and history.

You can order free retaurant and shopping guides, and also check out the interactive walking tours on Web Walk (need Flash on your computer.)

http://www.lowermanhattan.info/

http://www.downtownny.com/mapsguides/

skyscraper.org/WEB_PROJECTS/WEB_WALK/webwalk…

Also check out the World Financial Center, and the Wagner Park/Rockefeller Park Esplanade:

http://www.worldfinancialcenter.com

www.batteryparkcity.org/Visiting/parks.htm

Murray Street and Park Place are great for bars and pubs. Chambers Street has a lot of discount stores for sundries, hats and gloves, camera batteries, etc.

I also recommend Bazzini's on Greenwich Street around Reade Street. It's an old mom-and-pop bulk nut/spice/candy store that was smart enough to expand with the yuppies and the economy. Now it is a high-end gourmet store with great food, in a wonderful old building.

Hope that helps.

How long are you staying and what else are you interested in doing?

Hamilton Ontario...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: help with this itinerary please.

Thank you both so much for the info. Yes we are arriving at 7 am but our day usually starts at 4am and never finishes until midnight or so we shouldn't be to tired. We were going to omit the Statue of Liberty and Staten Island ferry as these we have both done before on a trip a few years ago on a flight stop over. We are only here until Monday afternoon. We were planning on Saturday maybe doing Radio City, St Patricks, Trump Tower etc. Don't really have a full itin yet. Was hoping on going to St Pauls for the Sunday morning service as well. Was told there is a fantastic choir at the 11 am service. Also Sunday night thought maybe we would catch an off broadway show. Any recommendations? Don't really have that much planned as this was only supposed to be a 1 day trip for a trade show and some how snowballed!

Alicia

ps heard Canal Street was interesting to check out. Where is this?

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with this itinerary please.

Canal Street is a major east-west street that is a major part of Chinatown. It's about 1.5 miles north of Battery Park.

Do you have a guide book yet? If not, you should get one and start getting the lay of the land.

Map are essential for planning your itinerary. Many recommend the Lonely Planet, the AAA guides and the DK Eye Witness Guides.

Personally, my fave is the Not for Tourist guide. It 's a "little black book" that has a low goofy-tourist factor. Very thorough, and all maps are printable from the website, once you register for free:

www.notfortourists.com/newyork.aspx

For basics and maps about NYC tourism, check:

www.newyorkled.com

www.theinsider.com/newyork

www.nycvisit.com

www.mustseenewyork.com

www.newyorkology.com

You can also use the bus or subway maps to figure where stuff is:

mta.info/metrocard/tourism/index.html

Don't use Mapquest.com. I have found them unreliable and misleading lately. But Yahoo's maps are good, and they have a new, interactive interface that is great!