We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop On Hop Off Bus

Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hop On Hop Off Bus

Is it cheaper to buy my tickets in NYC for the Hop on Hop Off bus or is it better to buy them online in advance? Thanks.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

It's cheapest of all not to buy any ticket for the bus. Are you considering it as an "overview" or transportation?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

I agree with vjp---but if you do buy them wait till you get here---the ticket sellers will often give you a better deal if you know how to negotiate it... Your first investment though if you are here more than 4 days should be in an unlimited metro card.

Ontario
Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

We too are considering the HOHO bus, not for transportation but for a general overview of the city our first day/two there.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

Hola.

We walk a lot and take the subways and public busses to get around, but we still like the commercial “Hop-on Hop-off” double decker busses and (even though we live here in NYC) once or twice a year buy a pass and “do” the City as paying tourists. We started doing this years ago due to one of our friends becoming a tour guide for one of the “Hop-on Hop-off” operators following his retirement as a teacher (a linguist). He died some years back, and fondly remember him “singing” (great voice) to the tourists and us atop the open air busses. That said, we still enjoy the ride. Try it. You may like it.

(P.S. Since we live here, we buy the tickets here.)

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
327 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

We did it last year in December and were even brave enough to ride in the open seats on the top deck. It was alot of fun and gives you a great overview of the city. Go for it and enjoy! We bought our tickets from an employee on the street and had no problems...

bb

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,952 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

If you end up on the Grayline buses, I'd love to see you on the Fri or Sat 8:30 Express, Fri or Sat 10:00 Uptown, Sunday noon uptown, Monday 4:00 Uptown.

You might catch me on a downtown on mon or Tues morning.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

I did this last year. It was so worth it. I know the subway is the best way to get around, but the bus gave a really good overview so that we could figure out what's where, subway stops, etc. The guides we got were great. Very happy with it. Wish I'd done it sooner. Great overall orientation to the city. If you've got a number of days, do it on the first day so that you can get a sense of what appeals to you.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

I have read the reviews here on TA, and they are mixed.

During busy times, it seems that it is difficult to try to use these for anything but the one full tour, because, if one gets off the bus to see something somewhere, you may not find another bus with any empty seats to hop back on.

Could be hop on, don't hop off ????

We would only be in the city for a couple days, and I really have no inclinatation to end up spending that time underground trying to figure out subways...

CitySights and Grayline are the two biggies, right.

I wonder if overcrowding would be a problem in early May????

Edited: 10:24 am, January 12, 2011
Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,952 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

I have just been informed that Grayline will have more buses in the Spring. I am working the winter for the first time in a long time. There are less of you here and on the buses so buses go less frequently. However, it is a seriously good overview and if you've already done the downtown loop, the Express is a great way to get to Battery Park early.

Grayline has upstairs and downstairs space. Wishingonastar, you are not here until May. You have plenty of time to read about subways and buses before you arrive. Do visit the Idiot's guide to the Subway on TripAdvisor.

Then, if you have beautiful days, make your bus decision at the last minute but make sure you have a MetroCard so you have choices. HOHOs are sightseeing. Subways and buses are transportation. (I have no idea what my schedule will be in May)

…typepad.com/explorenyc/…

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

You really need not give up on the subways and public buses that easy. Tyhe HOHO buses are good to get on and not get off if the tour guide is good. If not it can be miserable--- I notice the buses this time of year have a plastic bubble over the top so you can see out but someone else will have to comment on the visibility. Definitely do not use these for transportation--- use the subways.