We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Restaurants around Time Square

Boston
Level Contributor
151 posts
87 reviews
Nice Restaurants around Time Square

Thinking of staying at the Casablanca with my wife for a three day vacation late Feburary. Are there some nice restaurants around there? Doesn't have to be ritzy (although wouldn't rule it out), looking for a nice American,, Italian or Irish restaurant. Any suggestions?

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,288 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
554 Reviews
from $34.00*
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Nice Restaurants around Time Square

head over to 9th avenue in the 40's and 50's . Lots of locals go there and there are lots of reasonable places of all types.

Boston
Level Contributor
151 posts
87 reviews
2. Re: Nice Restaurants around Time Square

Have been looking at restaurants on Trip advisor what do you theink of Carmine's and Tony DiNapoli?

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Nice Restaurants around Time Square

Are you interested in a nice restaurant, or just the best of what Times Square (which is hardly a good dining destination!) has to offer? If I were you, I would go for a good restaurant rather than one in Times Square.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: Nice Restaurants around Time Square

There are not too many nice restaurants in Times Square. Is there a reason you want to stay in this area for dinner? It's chains..loud and so very crowded

Carmines is too much food for 2 people .They serve family -style portions appropriate for 4. I am unfamiliar with Tony DiNapoli.

Blue Fin is about as nice as Times Square has,IMHO..I like John's Pizza on 8th and 44th and Virgils for BBQ..but I wouldn't call them "nice"

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,231 posts
147 reviews
5. Re: Nice Restaurants around Time Square

RichS - On our recent trip, we enjoyed 2 very nice meals at Becco, an Italian restaurant located on W 46th St between 8th & 9th Aves.

Great atmosphere and reasonably priced food and wine (quite a good list of bottles for $25). A mix of mostly locals with some tourists.

We also sampled a few of 300+ scotches at St. Andrew's Pub, also on W46th, between 6th & 7th Aves. Nice spot for a drink. They also have an extensive beer list. We only had the calamari which was quite good.

Enjoy!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Nice Restaurants around Time Square

I highly recommend The West Bank Cafe on W. 42nd Street and 9th Avenue. I think it would be a great fit for what you're looking for.

http://www.westbankcafe.com/

They also have cabaret shows downstairs at the Laurie Beechman Theater. Very intimate place and very local crowd. You can order food at the cabaret.

Level Contributor
39,045 posts
1,014 reviews
7. Re: Nice Restaurants around Time Square

We dined at Esca before seeing the Lion King, this is a fantastic seafood restaurant, you can make reservaitions on www.opentable.com :)

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Nice Restaurants around Time Square

For Italian, I like Trattoria Trecolori. It's nice (not like upscale nice, just casual nice), and it's decently priced. It's on 47th Street between Broadway and 8th. :O)

New York
Level Contributor
120 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Nice Restaurants around Time Square

The immediate area around Times Square is a vast wasteland when it comes to restaurants. Overpriced, too crowded, get em in/get em out mentality, and usually bad food.

However, two places I go to alot that are within walking distance are:

Thalia restaurant on the SouthEast corner of 8th Ave and 50th Street. I've always been able to walk right in and get a table no problem, though I imagine that right before or after the theatres get out might be another story. Service is great, ambiance is great, and they have a very good 'American' type menu with some real winners: mushroom ravioli with asparagus and truffle; beef short rib; duck confit; crab cakes. I've been eating here for 6 years now and am always amazed at how consistently good everything is.

Molyvos is a Greek restaurant on 7th Ave btwn 55th and 56th Streets. Excellent upscale Greek food with a classy decor, but nothing too fancy. You don't have to dress up or anything. Again, I have never had to make a reservation here...I always just walk in off the street. But I suppose a reservation couldn't hurt. Their moussaka is divine!

Edited: 2:51 pm, January 10, 2011
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,461 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Nice Restaurants around Time Square

The area west of Times Square known as Hell's Kitchen has already been mentioned by a number of people. This is where Becco, West Bank Cafe, Thalia and Esca are located. There are also good restaurants east of Times Square on the streets between 5th & 7th ave. The 21 Club is not far and has some nice history and good food if you're willing to put on a jacket.

21club.com

But unless you plan on going to the theater every night and need to eat in the area, I see no reason why you should limit yourselves to eating near the hotel. You'll find more interesting options in other neighborhoods and will get to see more of the city that way. Le Zie is a well regarded Italian restaurant in Chelsea, south of midtown considered very good value for money and romantic.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/le-zie/