We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manhattan's best coffee shop!

London
Level Contributor
392 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Manhattan's best coffee shop!

If you were to recommend the ultimate NY coffee shop which one would it be, where is it located and what makes it special?

ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manhattan's best coffee shop!

i am very interested to see some replies to this topic also! Preferably one with great lattes!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,900 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manhattan's best coffee shop!

Coffee shop is a name that can be taken several ways. NYC is filled with coffee shops, an urban version of a diner, for a quick bite. They tend to be open all day, many are owned by NYers of Greek origin and the menus are huge--everthing from eggs and pancakes to full dinners. You tend to like the one that are convenient,clean and friendly. Not really something you fuss over.

Then there are coffee houses, places you go for coffee and dessert. Starbucks would fit into this category along with local places like Veneiros. Here is a list of good places for coffee

newyorkmetro.com/urban/…coffee.htm

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,900 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manhattan's best coffee shop!

The place where Seinfeld met his buddies was supposed to be his local coffee shop.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manhattan's best coffee shop!

calgal - for great lattes I highly recommend Cafe Angelique in NOHO - 68 Bleecker St, Between Broadway & Lafayette St. This is my daily "spot" and their lattes are great!

NYC
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Manhattan's best coffee shop!

IMO, It's not like a coffee shop is something you would want to travel 20 minutes to get to. So, the best one is the place that's not too packed and right near you. If you're on the Upper West Side, there's a great place called French Roast on Amsterdam and 84th. In the warm weather it's especially good with sidewalk seating.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Manhattan's best coffee shop!

We went to Cafe Lalo and Cafe Mozart a lot. They're on the Upper West Side. Downtown, we go to Veniero's. There are lots of good ones.

http://cafelalo.com/

http://www.cafemozart.com/

http://www.venierospastry.com/

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manhattan's best coffee shop!

As Nywhiz noted, New Yorkers use "coffee shop" as a synonym for "luncheonette": an urban equivalent of a "diner", which is usually a freestanding building as opposed to the coffee shop, which is not. I cannot imagine a New York City coffee shop that did not serve, for example, pancakes or bacon and eggs, or cheeseburgers deluxe, or meat loaf, or rice pudding. On the other hand, I think your basic neighborhood coffee shops that serve fancy kinds of coffee (exactly what is a "latte", anyway?) are few and far between. The fanciest choice of coffees in many "coffee shops" is with or without caffeine.

Since the menus (and the decor, and often even the names: "Cosmos", or "Aphrodite", or "Aegean", etc.) of coffee shops are so similar, if not actually interchangeable, what one looks for is cleanliness, a nearby location, quick service, decent prices, and civility in the waiters -- and probably in that order.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manhattan's best coffee shop!

OK, time to dispense with the esoteric, and get specific. My faves and most typical are:

Dynasty

Jackson Hole (Madison and 91st location)

Moonstruck

Skylight

SoupBurg

Chelsea Gallery (people watching)

Malibu

Cosmos

Manatus (overpriced, but good)

..and many others I don't know by name...

I am not very fond of:

Venus (no a/c and so-so burgers)

Galaxy - Chelsea location (I heard they improved, but I had "uninvited guests" on my table. Yuck!!)

Hollywood

Around-The-Clock (rip-off)

Coin-flip:

Chelsea Square, Tick Tock, Washington Square and the Waverly - food is not bad at these 4, but their locations above subway grates make me imagine that rats are creeping into their basements! I don't know why I only get this impression at these places and not others.

Find all on Menupages.com

London
Level Contributor
392 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manhattan's best coffee shop!

Thanks everyone :) The replies have made me smile. Obviously I am not going to trek 20 blocks lol but it's good to know if you're on a street with three or so that I might see a name I recognise from this thread!

Oh and by coffee shop I meant lattes (preferably skinny lattes), espresso and cakes!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manhattan's best coffee shop!

OH! I thought you meant the New York definition of coffee shop - which is like "diner" or "luncheonette". In that case, forget my recommendations. My list is all diners.

If you want a place that just serves coffee and dessert (which we call "cafes"), I'll have to come up with another list...