We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York City in Winter - What to wear?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
New York City in Winter - What to wear?

I am minimizing the clothing I bring to New York. I will be there next week. I have a long coat, the type you wear walking in snow, and a jacket, the type you wear around the city.

I do plan to spend most of the time in the city but I will be going into the countryside for a day or so.

Would I look silly walking in NYC with a long coat with a Le Coq log emblazoned across my back? I did that in Tokyo and I must say I think I stood out.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,827 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York City in Winter - What to wear?

Nobody cares what you wear. Long, short--in the middle. It will be cold outside and overheated inside most places. Just be comfortable.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York City in Winter - What to wear?

Don't forget hat, scarf and mitts/gloves also. And comfortable, warm footwear.

Enjoy!

Edited: 6:11 am, January 06, 2011
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York City in Winter - What to wear?

Your description of the options doesn't explain much to me. You don't say what weight the jacket is. If it's a hoodie, it's totally inappropriate but would be good to layer under something else. It's cold and the weight/warmth is the most important thing. Usually a long coat that covers your rear is warmer than a short jacket. Frankly it sounds like neither is ideal and you might bring one and consider buying something else while you're here.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York City in Winter - What to wear?

I find short coats with warmth as the goal (like a parka or ski jacket) to be the best for a lot of walking. The main key is layers-- when it is brutally cold it is thermal underware- shirt- sweatshirt- coat from bottom to top

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York City in Winter - What to wear?

It is cold in New York. And yes, they are predicting snow on Friday and Saturday. In Winter, it is absolutely OK to forget about fashion and go for the warmth and comfort. The thing is, that we take the subway and we do walk a lot in NYC. That calls for good coats, warm shoes, and the usual winter accompaniments of scarf, hat and mittens.

Will there be underdressed fashionistas around. Yeah, probably. But most of us would look on with a mix of amusement and horror.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,423 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New York City in Winter - What to wear?

"I have a long coat, the type you wear walking in snow, and a jacket, the type you wear around the city."

I have no idea what either of these mean. What type of long coat do you think peple wear when walking in the snow? What kind of jackets do you think people wear when walking around the city?

Here are some pictures of coats: what re you talking about?

www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc…

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,585 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York City in Winter - What to wear?

We were there in the blizzard and it was amazing how many people in sneakers were rushing into stores to buy boots. If you own waterproof boots--even waterproof hiking boots, you'll be happy you brought them if it snows. We're in snow season now. If you get a nasty storm, you can wreck pretty leather boots that are meant more for show than for snow. Be careful with shoes that have leather soles, as these can be slippery in snow/ice.

Layers are good. Again, not sure what kind of coat you're talking about but basically you want a basic winter coat. If you plan to do a ton of walking, long provides more coverage, but a short parka will do fine as well.

About standing out ? It takes a lot to stand out in NYC.

Edited: 7:00 pm, January 06, 2011
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,517 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York City in Winter - What to wear?

I honestly don't think you need 2 coats; I'd bring the longer one -- I think you'll appreciate having the extra length covering more of your thighs/legs as the wind (a common element of January weather) whips around. FYI, corduroy jeans & woolen slacks are warmer than denim jeans.

pssst, BB, our OP is male :-)

Edited: 7:35 pm, January 06, 2011
NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York City in Winter - What to wear?

Hola Fifi.

In addition to the hat, mittens and other outerwear, bring few pair of SILK “long johns” i.e., long underwear . They will lighten your (packing) load and keep you very warm especially under street clothes and an insulated coat.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX: Tomorrow’s expected highs: 98 degrees F.

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA: Tomorrow’s expected highs: 35 degrees F.

Texas
Level Contributor
188 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York City in Winter - What to wear?

Very interested in this thread! We are headed up in a week and concerned about warmth. We're from south Texas and don't get much snow! Wind - yes! Snow - no! Considering the recent/predicted weather I've order a pair of Columbia cold weather boots (not hiking). Please confirm those are suitable. I won't get much use in Houston, TX but I'll be ready for a winter trip elsewhere!

At a dilmena for what coat to put on my 14 yo son. He doesn't own an overcoat - he'll be in a ski jacket. Will we be embarassed?

Thanks in advance for your help!