We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Dispatcher at JFK

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
841 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Dispatcher at JFK

Rocabill's post about his wife falling prey of the gypsy cab reminded me about this and I meant to post this when I came back from New York in early November.

I'm a seasoned traveller to NYC and know my way around the aiport, taxi lines to avoid gypsy cabs etc.

Here's what happened. So I'm a bit tired after the flight and am standing in the line waiting for my yellow cab. I'm at the top of the line and I'm looking down the line of cars to see which one I'm going to. They are all to my right. The dispatcher comes up to me and says "He'll take you" and points to this guy over to the left of me standing out by himself. I just looked at him and said "What are you talking about? and looked back at the line of cars" and he replied "Oh eh, nothing this cab will take you" and he pointed back to the line and the next car available.

I was raging with myself afterwards as I was still half asleep. He was clearly sending me towards a gypsy cab or a black limo. I was annoyed because I didn't get his details to report him.

Has this happened to anyone else??

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from $175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from $199.00*
$214.00
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from $83.99*
Best Seller
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from $36.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Dispatcher at JFK

Hey Shinnygirl:-) Well, you obviously were not directed by the official taxi dispatcher there..they always hand you a piece of paper w/all the info including the date, time, taxi info, etc. so no surprises! You don't mention how it went though..where were you heading..how much did he charge you?! Trust you had a good time regardless..and enjoyed!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Dispatcher at JFK

You were not directed to the "real" taxi dispatcher and maybe you are not as seasoned a traveler as you might think. It can be confusing but that is why it is a subject of much discussion here. I am sure I would be as confused as you landing in your home airport.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,325 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Dispatcher at JFK

Ditto I cant agree with you more bilmin.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
10,766 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Dispatcher at JFK

Sounds like you got bamboozled by someone who took advantage of your tiredness. They had thieves in Rome who "looked official," too, with fake IDs hanging from their necks, and pseudo-uniforms. I hate to say it but trust your gut next time and don't give 'em the time of day.

Edited: 12:31 pm, January 01, 2011
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,919 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Dispatcher at JFK

Shinnygirl WAS on the ball! She caught the scam and refused to play! WAY TO GO!!

She was on the line but apparently some slime took advantage of the real dispatcher being down the line. Her only regret--she didn't get more info on the guy.

Shinny girl-did this dispatcher ultimately hand you a paper or did he just point you to the correct cab. If the former--he IS a crooked dispatcher and if the later --he is just a crook trying to work the line.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,170 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Dispatcher at JFK

People keep talking about this piece of paper you should get given by the taxi dispatcher, so I thought it would be wise to take a photo of one, so you all know what it looks like.

http://m4rkm.com/nyc-taxidispatch/

texas
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Dispatcher at JFK

Now you have me wondering. When I land Thursday at LGA at 330 pm, I just assumed the taxi line would be clearly marked and have someone at the front of the line directing. Is it that easy for someone else to look like he is directing,instead of the real person???? And where would have the real director have gone? And Mark, that picture. Does LGA do this paper as well? If so, then I ask for the paper and a con artist will not have it? I guess I am just picturing a taxi line like Vegas where there is no doubt you are in line and being directed legally.Thanks.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,170 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Dispatcher at JFK

If you follow the signs, there are signs to the official taxi line, and there should be someone at the front, directing you into a taxi.

panynj.gov/airports/lga-taxi-car-van-service…

In that photo you can see the little "hut" that is at the front of the taxi queue. Now LGA isn't that busy, so you shouldn't have long to wait at all, but just follow the signs outside for ground transportation, and ignore all the solicitations.

NYC Taxi's are YELLOW, so if you're directed to a car that isn't yellow, then you know you're going the wrong way.

Now, according to the slip that is shown on my website, well, it is a JFK one, but the other NYC airports are mentioned, I honestly can't remember if I got one at LGA when I flew in last, i'm pretty sure i did though

M

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi Dispatcher at JFK

The key is "yellow." Just don't get into a car that isn't yellow. I've never seen a yellow gypsy cab, so the easiest rule of thumb to me seems to be that you should stay mellow with yellow.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi Dispatcher at JFK

Here is what you need to know. When you get to the arrivals level of the terminal, you will see a number of drivers holding signs with names on them. That is for those who booked cars in advance. Intermingled will be a bunch of guys saying "taxi, sir/ma'am?". Ignore them and follow the signs for taxis. There will be a line set up there with a dispatcher and a Booth at the front of the line. Don't worry if the line looks long, it moves fairly quickly. If the line appears long, some of those touts from the inside will approach people towards the end of the line and offer a ride. Ignore them, too. At the front of the line, the dispatcher will hand you a yellow form that tells you all of the rules you need to know and point you to the next available cab. It's really quite simple. Hope that helps.