We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway in the evening

DHL
Brussels
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Subway in the evening

I'm on a budget and will be staying in the Upper West Area and will be using the infamous metrocard.

Is it save to use the subway to get there from downtown late in the evening (9-11PM).

Thanks.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway in the evening

It's fine. I'm a single woman and I use the subways all the time. In fact, they'll still be crowded then.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway in the evening

It is absolutely safe! You will see that even in the evening hours the subway is busy. Remember that the metrocard is good on buses, also, if that makes you more comfortable.

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway in the evening

I stayed on the UWS this summer and went backlate evry night using the subway. Perfectly safe and there were lots of people using it at that time.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway in the evening

Have no fear. The hours you are planning to use the subway should pose no problem.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway in the evening

Hi

My wife and I took the subway at about midnight and the subway was still pretty crowded and it was not a problem at all. I have posted a trip report with pictures from our first time visit to NYC on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there :-)

Regards

Gard