We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas Tree Lighting - 30th Nov 2010 - Rockefeller Center

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
Xmas Tree Lighting - 30th Nov 2010 - Rockefeller Center

Just found out that the big turn on will be on Tuesday 30th November 2010.

We happen to be in NYC that day/night. Would love to see the big switch on but do you have to be there like 'HOURS' before, or will we get a glimpse if we roll up about 6pm?

Thanks

Mark

(UK)

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Xmas Tree Lighting - 30th Nov 2010 - Rockefeller Center

You'd need to get there hours beforehand to have a chance to seeing anything.

BTW...just a fun fact.....this year's tree was just cut down from our neighbor's yard!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Xmas Tree Lighting - 30th Nov 2010 - Rockefeller Center

Yes it is a mob scene--- you are better off watching it in your hotel room and then taking a late night stroll to see it all lit up. Some of the performances are taped earlier anyway so you are not missing much and you will be much more comfortable.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Xmas Tree Lighting - 30th Nov 2010 - Rockefeller Center

If you really want to see the tree switched on, go the next morning (or any morning after the lighting) at 7 AM. That's when they turn on the lights for the day, and you'll have the area all to yourself.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Xmas Tree Lighting - 30th Nov 2010 - Rockefeller Center

Thanks for all your input guys.

I guess it doesn't sound like too much fun and don't really want to waste too much time waiting around. I think we'll be better off watching on the television as others have suggested. Am i right in thinking that the local bars and eateries will show this on TV or is it not really a big event?

Edited: 2:29 pm, November 11, 2010
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Xmas Tree Lighting - 30th Nov 2010 - Rockefeller Center

Well it is on the major channel (4 I think) but unless ESPN and all other channels are off the air I don't think it will be on in many bars. It is not really a big TV event here.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: Xmas Tree Lighting - 30th Nov 2010 - Rockefeller Center

Take a walk over later that evening, after the crowd thins down. It is a beautiful sight !!!!

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Xmas Tree Lighting - 30th Nov 2010 - Rockefeller Center

Thanks again. I think we'll retreat to the hotel room (Times Sq) and then take a wander down there later. That's unless we fall asleep :) and if that's the case will go the next day.

Thank you all for taking the time to post. Much Appreciated.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Xmas Tree Lighting - 30th Nov 2010 - Rockefeller Center

Hola.

Be sure to begin practicing your OOOOOs and AHHHHHHs before you go because once you see it live you are going to be using them!

In past years the annual event has been televised as it usually and features dancing (by the Rockettes) and music. If you like CROWDS, go to the lighting. It is a hoot. If you do not like crowds, the local news stations (like Channel 1 NY News) are likely to repeatedly air the televised feeds that night.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

9. Re: Xmas Tree Lighting - 30th Nov 2010 - Rockefeller Center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, May 11, 2011