We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Times Square to China Town

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Times Square to China Town

We are flying into NY for the day for shopping our plane lands at LGA at 7:45 am there will be 5 girls and 1 of them are on the large side. I have been to NY 2 times so I thought we would start at Times Square work our way to 5th ave. then to China Town. What do you suggest to take to China Town. Our plane leaves out at 9:00pm. Also I am taking my family at the end of June for a Graduation celebration (1 from College & 1 from HS) what is the average temp. for June/July. We will be coming from NC. Thanks so Much!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Times Square to China Town

June is one of the variable months. It can be miserably chilly and rainy - it can be sunny and baking hot. June sees rainy days with highs in the low 60's and it also sees bright sunny days with highs as high as the low 90's. Generally it is in the 70's but you never know. I've been to the beach expecting a heat wave and wished I'd brought my scarf and gloves. I've planned outdoor activities and thought it wouldn't be too hot and we've baked. June runs the gamut. July is warm no matter what (except Summer 2009 when it never got warm).

Best way to Chinatown is always the subway. From Times Square, the N, R, and Q trains to Canal Street.

From anywhere on the east side, the 6 train from anywhere along Lexington Avenue to Canal Street.

Basically any downtown train from anywhere in Midtown Manhattan except 6th Avenue trains to Canal Street (and remember that 2 and 3 express and 4 and 5 express trains skip Canal Street)

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Times Square to China Town

If you start at Times Square and want to go toChinatown via Fifth Avenue, do this:

Walk across 42nd Street from Seventh Avenue to Fifth Avenue. Enjoy Bryant Park en route, and visit the Public Library if you like.

Walk north on Fifth AVenue from 42nd Street, passing Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, and all the best Fifth Avenue shops.

At the southeast corner of Central Park, enter the Fifth Avenue station of the N/R train.

Take that train downtown to Canal Street, exit there.

If you don't want to shop at Pearl River mart at Broadway and Grand Street, walk east on Canal Street to Mott Street, and turn right. You will be in the old heart of Chinatown, with lots of Cantonese restaurants and souvenir shops -- feel free to haggle with the shopkeepers!

Make sure you wear good walking shoes; flip-flops will NOT be a good idea.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Times Square to China Town

Thanks so much for the information!

4. Re: Getting from Times Square to China Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:33 am, April 29, 2011