We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid in winter time!!! Very cold. Rude landlord

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid in winter time!!! Very cold. Rude landlord

506 9TH AVENUE APT 2FS NY NY 10018 = BABY17

VERY COLD IN WINTER AND A STRANGE LANDLORD!!!

I stayed with my daughter one month in May this year in one of Ingrite Pujols apartments (www.ingrite.com). Unfortunately I have more negatives than positives to mention. I start with the POSITIVES: Good sized studio apartment with enough storage for one month. Clean and not worn. 10 minutes walk to Time Square. Fully equipped kitchen with micro, stove and oven. Beds are comfortable.

NEGATIVES:

Facilities:

Bathroom:

Wall mounted high shower where the water pressure was not controllable.

No ventilation (except a window), extremely humid especially in winter when cold and not possible to keep window open. If the window is open there is a problem with insight from opposite window

Kitchen:

Very small table, only suitable for 2 people.

No fan over stove. Lot of smell after cooking.

Bedroom/Living room:

Although internet, but no table for computer

One small heater / radiator for the entire studio.

Extremely noisy due to 4 lanes 9th avenue (as loud as sleeping in the street). Heavy traffic and many fire trucks

Cigar smell from cigar shop downstairs

Extremely cold

No blackout curtains

No reading lamps

Linen included, but no change

Old fashioned small TV

Service ratio: Nil; rude and not professional

I have worked as a hotel surveyor and I have also been a landlord for several tenants, so I have rather good knowledge about renting out apartments. Of course this is not a hotel and you cannot expect hotel service, but you can expect some respect and friendliness. The only word I find is rude and unprofessional. To start with, when I contacted Ingrite’s Apartments, she said she only had one townhouse on 46th street between 8th and 9th Av. available. She included small pictures in her e-mail and in the description she mentioned “Fully equipped kitchen”, but when I asked for bigger pictures and didn’t see any kitchen, I asked about it and she rudely answered that I should read the description! But the description in her mail was that the apartment was equipped with a kitchen!!! No apology for the mistake she made – or maybe it was not a mistake... She had earlier said that this was the only available apartment, but when I said I only was interested in an apartment with kitchen, she suddenly had another with kitchen available. Strange, not very reliable… When I accepted this apartment, Ingrite Pujol sent a contract to be signed immediately and returned to her by email. In this contract, which only was written in the landlords favour, she had raised the rent with 100$!!! I was lucky I read the contract carefully! She also offered a pick up from Newark Airport for $80 + toll. This apartment was a very short walk from Port Authority bus station, which was a much cheaper alternative, which she didn’t mention. Also shared shuttles were much cheaper, which takes you to your address. Ingrite demanded fast signature on contract, but never signed the contract herself! She not only wanted $600 as a deposit for utility costs immediately sent by Money Gram, but also demanded a credit card and security code as back up. She got my credit card numbers, security code, but she insisted on the deposit also sent by money gram as well, although my arrival was within 5 days. Ingrite wrote rudely to me when I hadn’t arranged for a Money Gram: “but don't play games as you will arrive here without an apartment I wait till in the morning” well, well, play games – with a contract not signed by Ingrite herself. I disliked sending my full credit card information + Money Gram. Money Gram is very unsafe. Many rogues use Money Gram; why not use normal bank transfers, cheaper, safer and fast. But of course bank transfers are not suitable if a landlord want to avoid income tax on the rent! She also wanted the full rent cash upon arrival. (No trace for income…). I was very particular to ask what was included in the utility costs. Ingrite answered: “WE CHARGE ELETRICITY, CABLE, PHONE AND INTERNET IF AVAILABLE RANGE FROM $ 100.00 TO $ 200.00 PER MONTH DEPENDING ON USAGE INTERNET ALONE IS ABOUT $45.00 I AM NOT SURE IF MAY WILL BE HOT ENOUGH TO USE AIR COND IF NOT BILL WILL BE MUCH LESS ELETRICTY IS VERY EXPENSIVE HERE”. The final charge was not $100 or $200, but $354 (although we never used the air con). The rest of the deposit was returned one month later and she had charged not only for the utility costs she had mentioned, but also for the Money Gram bank cost and a tax $105, which I had asked in an email if she will charge us. She had written in the contract with very small letters (almost non-readable, not same size like the rest of the text in the contract), about this tax. She answered “NO”, so I thought that this tax was included in the rent. I complained when she deducted it from the deposit, but she said that she had given wrong information, although she didn’t even mention this tax when I asked about what was included in the utility costs. I rent out apartments myself and if I promise something by mistake I keep to it, although it’s an extra cost for me. An agreement is an agreement. According to Ingrite, there was Internet in the apartment for $32 (flat rate full month), but upon arrival it didn’t work. Access to Internet was very important, because my daughter was supposed to work via Internet. Ingrite asked us to call to the Internet supplier to fix the Internet!!! She wasn’t willing to do it herself! Several calls and three days after arrival the Internet was installed. But she charged us for these telephone costs!!! We never used the phone for private calls.

But the biggest disappointment was the temperature in the studio. Some days were warm when it was warm outside, but several days it was 50-55. The apartment was extremely cold when cold outside!!! I had lots of cloths in the night and didn’t want to get out of bed. To have a shower was like showering outside… And I am from Sweden, used to winter! I asked politely if we could borrow an extra electrical radiator (remember we paid for electricity), but Ingrite refused. Although there was a very tiny radiator for such a big apartment, it was never warm. This tiny radiator in the living room is too small to provide enough heat for the apartment in the winter, so the apartment will probably be extremely cold. This was Ingrite’s answer to my request: “THE BOILER THAT BRINGS THE HEAT FEEDS THE ENTIRE BUILDING IF THERE IS NO HEAT FOR YOU THERE IS FOR ANYBODYTHE BOILER IS SET ON A TEMPERATURE CONTROL BY THE CITY OF NEW YORK NOT BY ME OR BY THE OWNER HERE THERE ARE LAWS AND THE MUST BE FOLLOWEDTHE LAW IN NEW YORK SAYS: THE NIGHT SENSOR HAS TO BE SET AT 47 THAT MEANS IF THE TEMPERATURE IS NOT 47 OR BELOW THE HEAT WILL NOT COME UPDAY SENSOR 50 OR LESS DO YOU NEED MORE BLANKETS??” Another lie!!!!The New York law says this: “building owners must provide all tenants with the following levels of heat and hot water: Heat (During the heating season, October 1 through May 31) Between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., heat must register at least 68 degrees Fahrenheit when the outside temperature falls below 55 degrees”. The outside temperature was below 55 and the inside temperature was probably also below 55! The wall isolation was nil. Ingrite had installed 2 air cons through 2 windows with big leakage of cold and noise. We were lucky that there were also sunny days in May; otherwise our holiday could have been a disaster. And it doesn’t matter about the outside temperature, when the inside temperature is as low. A landlord should see too that the tenant have comfortable temperature inside, regardless what is outside.

So my recommendation is not to rent during cold months i.e. when outside temperature may fall below 65!!!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,820 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid in winter time!!! Very cold. Rude landlord

You rented an illegal apartment, and were surprised that the landlord didn't follow the tenant law?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid in winter time!!! Very cold. Rude landlord

Sorry you will get no sympathy here -- did you realize when you rented that it might be illegal to rent this property ? If you didn't then it might be overlooked but if you had come here first you would have known this is what you get.

3. Re: Avoid in winter time!!! Very cold. Rude landlord

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:12 am, October 08, 2010
Edited: 8:12 am, October 08, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid in winter time!!! Very cold. Rude landlord

*** I stayed with my daughter one month in May this year ***

I don't know anything about this building, but look at the very first sentence of this woman's post. "I stayed with my daughter one month in May this year". She claims she stayed here ..... a month .... 30 days (or more). So now are you guys on the forum claiming that the month-to-month ..... 30 day ..... tenants in NYC are also illegal?

Why don't we just cut to the chase because ...... then pretty soon all the apartments in NYC will probably be "illegal".

Edited: 8:20 am, October 08, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,820 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid in winter time!!! Very cold. Rude landlord

You are right that the OP claims that they stayed a month, but the website linked to rents apartments by the day, with cheaper rates by the month. That makes the rental practice almost certainly against city regs, and given that the landlord appears to be a slumlord, I don't really think there's much chance that she's doing this above board.

DC
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid in winter time!!! Very cold. Rude landlord

Whether or not this particular rental was illegal, it was certainly cheap and the OP has now learned that sometimes you get what you pay for. If you want the St. Regis, you pay for the St. Regis.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid in winter time!!! Very cold. Rude landlord

As long as I have been patronizing this Forum there have been inordinate writings about ILLEGAL & LEGAL with all the pros/cons etc....

Many of those looking for apartments have been dissuaded and others - I'm sure have rented ILLEGAL flats.

We must remember that not every traveler to NYC uses TA and there are advertisers overseas touting their lodgings, be they legal or not.

So cutting to the chase - why not just put this issue to bed - if someone wants to rent an apartment let them,

We can advise all we want - but it comes down "to each his/her own" doesn't it?

I'm taking a pass on any more responses to apartment rental.

Just my opinion, I'm sure there will be those who will take issue - like I said "to each his/her own"

Poppa

Edited: 8:59 am, October 08, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,820 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoid in winter time!!! Very cold. Rude landlord

"We can advise all we want - but it comes down 'to each his/her own' doesn't it?"

How is that different from what we're doing now? We advise, but we certainly can't stop anyone. Or are you suggesting that we stop advising?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,143 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoid in winter time!!! Very cold. Rude landlord

Aside from the whole apartment issue - the reference to "winter" in May is a wee bit confusing....

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoid in winter time!!! Very cold. Rude landlord

And I said might be--- I had also added but it never made it on that the reference to May was confusing--- this I know for a fact that no one should expect heat in May even if they are cold..

I agree with you Lotus that the claim of illegal is overdone here and I probably should have not mentioned it.

I laughed at all the "Negatives" the OP listed . It sounds very much like a normal studio apartment in NYC.

They may as stated have a good knowledge about apartments in Sweden but he/ she is clueless about apartments in NYC.