We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information dvd about NYC?

Sweden
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Information dvd about NYC?

Hiya,

Anyone know any good dvd about NYC?

Taking our mothers (from Sweden) and it would be fun for them to see a bit about the city before going there. But cant find anything anywhere. You guys know?

Thanx

/ H

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,486 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Information dvd about NYC?

I have found lots online but not sure that would help you in Sweden. I would visit your local library and/or bookstore that has a travel section. I don't know of any that are particularly good. If you have access to amazon you might look there. There will be reviews on Amazon too.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Information dvd about NYC?

What about renting movies that show off the city? Recent favorites are "You've Got Mail" and "When Harry Met Sally," and of course most of Woody Allen's movies are shot here too. I'm sure they'd be available in Sweden. It's a fun way to see the city, and they'd probably recognize the locations when they're here. (There's a mini virtual tour of the upper west side neighborhood where "You've Got Mail" was shot on www.youvegotmail.com)

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Information dvd about NYC?

Do these women speak English? If so, I have a wonderful suggestion.

Sweden
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Information dvd about NYC?

Hi everyone and thanx for your replies.

We will have them over for a dinner and thats when we thought we plan abit for the trip, and hopefully see some info-dvd.

And yes N504JB, they do speek english. What did you have in mind?

Br,

/ H

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Information dvd about NYC?

There are four possibilities: one DVD and three in VHS format:

The DVD is the best I've ever seen of New York City. It's a treasure. It's called "Visions of New York City".

Here's where to order the DVD:

https://secure.wlvt.org/Join/step1.cfm…

Description: "Visions of New York City celebrates the irresistible attraction of the little 25- by 2-mile island that has captured the hearts of millions and sparked countless lifelong love affairs, using aerial and ground footage enhanced by informative narration."

The down side is that it is only offered through public televison and costs $75.00. (I think it's worth every penny as it stands alone for this sort of thing. Again, the cinematography is stunning and my guess is you would actually save money on your trip because the DVD would help you target "must-see" places. You'd also save time knowing where you wanted to go rather than just barging around aimlessly.

The other three offerings are the most INFORMATIVE and are the brainchild of Barry Lewis, a reknowned architectual historian, whose videos are fascinating as they tell you things about specific parts of the city even residents don't know. (Word is they might even be available on DVD as of now).

The Channel Thirteen Hartman/Lewis series of videos listed on this page are available individually, for about $20 each + tax + shipping, by contacting 800.336.1917 (Thirteen's video ordering department). You might have to ask the 800 operator to scroll down the entire video list because the Hartman/Lewis videos are quixotically listed under different titles.

A WALK ACROSS 42ND STREET WITH DAVID HARTMAN

Review:

"Lewis serves as on-camera historian with host, David Hartman. Covers 42nd Street, river to river, including Tudor City, Grand Central Terminal, the Public Library, Bryant Park and Theater Row. Nominated for a 1998 Emmy award."

A WALK UP BROADWAY WITH DAVID HARTMAN

Review:

Covers Broadway from Bowling Green to the Harlem River including City Hall, Canal Street, Pfaff's, the old Metropolitan Opera House site, the Straus Memorial, the Hispanic Society, Rev. Ike's Church (former Loew's 175th) and the Cloisters.

A WALK THROUGH CENTRAL PARK

Review:

"Sixth in this series for Channel 13; produced with the generous co-operation of the Central Park Conservancy. Central Park's conception, design & construction in the mid-19th century sparked a generation of urban park building in the United States that civilized the cities that followed suit.

Interviews include the Park's own dedicated staff plus those including Tony Bennett and George Plimpton who are its dedicated users and admirers."

The "Visions" of New York City" should be on any visitors short list as it's certainly a beter keepsake of any trip than those silly souvenirs most tourists bring home.

And if you're interested in the history of a particular area--as well as having the secrets of those areas exposed--you can't beat Barry Lewis. I thoroughly enjoyed both the 42nd Street walks and that of Central Park.

Note: The Channel Thirteen Hartman/Lewis series of videos listed on this page are available individually, for about $20 each + tax + shipping, by contacting 800.336.1917 (Thirteen's video ordering department). You might have to ask the 800 operator to scroll down the entire video list because the Hartman/Lewis videos are quixotically listed under different titles. DVD versions of Broadway, Harlem, Brooklyn, Greenwich Village and Central Park should be out by December, 2005.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Information dvd about NYC?

I LOVE Barry Lewis' tours!!!! The best ones are his first, the Walk Up Broadway, and the 42nd Street walk. The others are wonderful but aren't continuous walks like the first two are. He is the most enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know they were available on DVD.

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,910 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Information dvd about NYC?

Hey, N504JB, that's great info!

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Information dvd about NYC?

I'm not sure they're available just yet. They were supposed to be but I don't know if they delivered on time.

Barry Lewis is really THE MAN. His knowledge of the stories behind the architecture is encyclopedic.

I don't know if you've seen "Visions of New York" when PBS does its fundraising but it's just glorius. The last few minutes with "The New World Symphony" in the backround as you see an aerial shot of Lady Liberty's torch lit against the night skyline of lower Manhattan is almost unbearably beautiful.

Two thumbs way, way, up!

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Information dvd about NYC?

Bettina:

If you don't have it already, here's Barry's website:

http://www.barrylewis.org/lectures.html

You'll discover a lot here, including news about upcoming projects.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Information dvd about NYC?

I've been to his web site, but not for a long while. I had gone there looking for DVDs of the first two shows, but at the time they weren't offered. I'll get 'em one day.