We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hairdresser - need to tip?

Germany
Level Contributor
259 posts
160 reviews
146 helpful votes
hairdresser - need to tip?

Hi, my question may sound strange, but I am not sure whether it is custumonary in the US to tip at the hairdressers? If so, which amount would be appropriate and how is it done - directly into the hand or added to the bill or into a jar/box at the register?

Thank you

Frau Gast

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,381 posts
73 reviews
148 helpful votes
1. Re: hairdresser - need to tip?

Yes - you definitely tip them unless you know the person doing your hair own the salon. I go to my hairstylist's apartment - so I dont tip.

20% is probably about right - and you either hand it to them (or put it in their pocket if they're with the next customer) or the salon will have an envelope at the front desk when you pay. You just put the money in the envelope with something like "Tonya - Thank you! Eva" written on it so it gets to the right person, and s/he knows it came from you

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,269 posts
203 reviews
108 helpful votes
2. Re: hairdresser - need to tip?

Absolutely should tip. Around 20% directly to the hairdresser, or at nicer places you can include it on top of the cost of the cut at the main register.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,381 posts
73 reviews
148 helpful votes
3. Re: hairdresser - need to tip?

tried to edit, but I was too late

you also tip the person who washes your hair. Its rarely the stylist. $2 at a cheaper walk in place; $5 at a moderate to expensive place. If you're going to one of those $500/cut places, more is probably customary

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
10 helpful votes
4. Re: hairdresser - need to tip?

Don't want to be the devil's advocate, but I know some ladies can be really difficult when it comes to their hair. I used to date a woman that once threw a hairbrush at a stylist who had cut her hair too short. If you were going to a new stylist and they did a lousy job ...... would you still feel the need to tip?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,381 posts
73 reviews
148 helpful votes
5. Re: hairdresser - need to tip?

well, it depends whether I gave them clear instructions.

When we first got those walk in hairstyling places that were all around the city (forgot the name) and I was making very little money, I went to one because all my coworkers raved. You can hide a lot of mistakes with my kind of hair, but it was so bad the manager told me she wouldnt take my money and wouldnt let me tip.

I am not an advocate of the mandatory tip in any situation. Havent had bad service in a restaurant in NYC since the 80s (the Empire Diner) and had no problem giving her a symbolic 15 cent tip with a note that I normally tip 15% so she didnt just think I was a cheapskate.

6. Re: hairdresser - need to tip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, March 31, 2011