We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dress code question

ontario
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Topic
dress code question

What would you wear for drinks at Mandarin Oriental? We're not going anywhere fancy before or after.

Mo

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dress code question

I'd wear something nice. Not cocktail clothes but for a man, sports jacket or really nice sweater and slacks.

ontario
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: dress code question

Thanks, NYWhiz.

Mo

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dress code question

On this point of dress, just wanted to mention I finally got around to reading the 2006 Zagat guide and their first paragraph under "what's new" is about the trend to more casual dress. They point out that the only 2 places that require a tie now are the 21 Club and the Rainbow Room. There are some places that still require a jacket. I also think you get better service at the nicer places if you dress nicely. ;)

UK
Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dress code question

sorry to jump on your post canadianmo - I'm interested to hear what the dress code is out and about too.

What bars is it acceptable to wear jeans around the Times Square area?

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dress code question

Nice jeans would be acceptable in most bars. It's what's on top that matters more in terms of "fitting in." Think about standing or sitting at a bar or a restaurant table. It's what's on top that people see. ;)

The Times Square area is really mostly filled with tourists that tend to dress more casually.

Everyone makes fun of the all black "uniform" of New Yorkers, but the truth is, you can dress it up or down and always be appropriate.

UK
Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dress code question

My friend was in NY in December a couple of years ago and she said she packed lots of strappy tops for going out at night, but she said it was far too cold to wear tops like that - is that really the case? Is it pointless packing such items for my trip?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dress code question

Strappy tops in winter? Probably not a good idea unless you wear them underneath a blazer/jacket or fancy cardigan sweater.

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: dress code question

on the topic of dress code, I am going to New York at the end of April, while we are there we are going to the river cafe in brooklyn for dinner. How should you dress for this sort of restaurant? Should a man wear a full suit?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dress code question

I'm jiust back from NYC and we ate at David Burke & Donatella, which has a sign outside which says 'Proper Attire Required'.

This spooked us a little until we got inside. Needless to say, it was not black tie - many people were wearing jeans, many were wearing polo shirts / t-shirts (men). I didn't really look to see what the women were wearing, but it was certainly not haute couture.

There was one table where everyone was dressed up, but they were like something out of the Godfather, so we wrote them off as being freaks who wouldn't fit in in most places ;o)

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: dress code question

Molly, the River Cafe requires men to wear jackets for dinner. No need for a suit though.