We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LIVE Trip Report - 22nd - 27th September

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
LIVE Trip Report - 22nd - 27th September

As I am the resident geek in this forum, it would be wrong for me NOT to do a Live trip report.

From now to Monday night I'll talk c**p about what I have done and what I have eaten, drank, seen etc.

Right now, I'm sat at London Heathrow, having a pint of cider, waiting for Delta Flight 4 departure. Should start boarding in about 30 minutes from now.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,245 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
551 Reviews
from $34.00*
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,321 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: LIVE Trip Report - 22nd - 27th September

Aah, New York....

*sigh*

how come you're not on a budget when only a few months ago you were complaining about not having the money to visit the Big Apple again this year....just askin',,,,has nothing to do with me being jealous....honest...cross my heart and ....

Well, anyways, have a great time! ^_^

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: LIVE Trip Report - 22nd - 27th September

Had you been to a Colbert or Daily Show taping before? How was it?

Did you enjoy the lightning show with the rain? If you went to Prospect Park and Park Slope, yo ucan still find many downed trees from last week's tornado.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: LIVE Trip Report - 22nd - 27th September

Have fun! You certainly picked a gorgeous week to visit.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: LIVE Trip Report - 22nd - 27th September

Yes. In march I did Colbert. Slow to get in, still got out by 8pm!

Weather. It's just lovely... Not too humid...

Currently i am propping up a bar in Park Slope, in the hope that I'll bump into the character known as BrooklynMel!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: LIVE Trip Report - 22nd - 27th September

Thursday - Melting in the Park.

The plan of Prospect Park was changed slightly with breakfast at Egg in Williamsburg (yum), and a relaxing walk down to East River State Park, just to admire the view.

Wandered all the way over to the G Train, and at 11am in the morning it was already amazingly hot. Surprisingly, the G train pulled in without much of a wait, and then I was whisked underground to Prospect Park. I think I prefer this park to Central Park, mainly because as you walk into the middle, you can look around and see no buildings, and the only thing giving it away that you're in the middle of a huge city, is the constant drone of aeroplanes coming into land.

After a few hours, walking, sunbathing, walking some more, we hit Grand Army Plaza, and then headed down the hill (which I was glad I was walking down!), to Park Slope.

Taking hints from BrooklynMel, ended up in High Dive, which had some great beers, and a knowledgeable bartender, a number of drinks were drunk. Met up with "Lem" (name changed to protect the guilty!) and consumed a few more beers, before heading up to Coco Roco for a meal. That is a seriously good Chicken.

Last stop in the Slope was The Gate, and amazingly we bagged a table outside. Guess what? MORE BEER!!!

Headed off about 9pm down to Littlefield to finish off the night with a show, very odd venue, and also, annoyingly rude people who decided to talk throughout the time the bands were on stage. Highly annoying, but it wasn't too bad nontheless.

A Subway trip back to the hotel via Manhattan was the only time we had left Brooklyn today, and a very fun filled day was complete. Shame the maid in the hotel decided to turn off the air conditiioning in the room, but within minutes, it was time to watch Jimmy Fallon, and get some sleep.

Now today, heading up to Queens Museum, after a quick call into MoMA.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: LIVE Trip Report - 22nd - 27th September

Sounds like another good day, though this Lem guy seems a bit of a knob. Probably never even been to Brooklyn before.

By the way, you know the Dumbo Arts Festival is happening this weekend, right? Lots of interesting stuff going on -- might be worth checking out.

http://dumboartsfestival.com/

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: LIVE Trip Report - 22nd - 27th September

So, I was biking home from work, and who should I see at my local pub but Mark. A quick shower and I was on a stool next to him drinking Bengali Tiger IPA from Six Point Brewery. Brought one of my pals along just in case I needed protection.

One of the best things about TA is the fact that I have drinking buddies from all over the globe. Homer goes to Moes and always has the same old rummies around. Lenny, Carl and Barney. But, I can go to my local and hang out with a seriously nutty guy from Leeds. Mark didn't mention the size of the Mastiff puppy that was on the patio at The Gate. This thing was the size of a minivan.

One thing tho, Mark, if we are going to adopt you into the ways of BKLYN, you just gotta stop saying thing like aeroplane.

LEM

UK
Level Contributor
92 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: LIVE Trip Report - 22nd - 27th September

Where is M4RKM? He has been missing in action. I have been waiting for another instalment of his NYC trip. Seems he was last heading up to Queens Museum...

...maybe he got sidetracked into another pub by the dodgy geezer that goes by the name of "Lem" lol. ;-)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: LIVE Trip Report - 22nd - 27th September

Not So Live Any More.

OK... Beer and general DOING THINGS in NYC did beat me keeping up the awesomeness of this LIVE trip report, so I have to gather my thoughts together, and see what I can come up with to make this sound more exciting than it actually is.

Friday - Now, if anyone actually remembers, My plan for Friday (and people should realise that my itinerary is in the loosest possible term), involved 3 museums, and not much else. I was always concerned that I wouldn't get around to all three, just because I'm that kinda person. Well lo and behold, I leave the hotel, heading to MoMA, and plans are already changing. I forget my binoculars, so Queens Museum and the Panorama gets pushed back a day (and as it happens now, never did happen, thanks to the G train being screwed all weekend, so that's now in my March 2011 plans).

Head to Bloomingdales for a wander around the store, I buy some Keils Shampoo (expensive in the UK, cheaper in the US), then in the heat, wander around to Tiffany's. Heading down to MoMA seems simple, However, thanks to the UN being in session a few blocks are closed off not just to traffic, but to pedestrians too, and had to wait for about 30 mins (Yes, I could have walked around the long way), and then we hear it is Ahmadinejad leaving the hotel. A few quiet boos, and thumbs down from the crowd, and we see him whisked away in the car, and suddenly, NYC is back to normal, and all the armed police are no longer there. Head to MoMA, ignore the queues and get straight in thanks to my membership card, and I'm amazed at how busy the place is. This is the busiest I've seen it, and it wasn't even the free evening.

My plan with MoMA this time was to say hello to my favourite Jackson Pollock, and go see the Matisse special exhibit that was on. Due to the whole 4th Floor being closed, my time with the Pollock was gone, and only the Matisse is left for me to walk thorough. 45 Minutes later, I'm back out in the heat of the day and finding somewhere for Lunch.

Today was also the start of Craft Beer Week. Being a sensible beer connoisseur, I was already armed with my "Beer Passport" (which consists of pages of bars in NYC that are taking part, I head to one that I know is in the book, and will make a good place to sit and have a few beers. The Village Pourhouse for lunch, and beers, followed by a few more beers at the Heartland Brewery, both near Union Square.

Back to the hotel for a rest, and a quiet (dare I say this), night in, after a late night on Thursday, is needed. Ordered in a pizza, watched TV, and did actually have a few more beers around the corner at Petes Candy Store, but was asleep for before midnight.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: LIVE Trip Report - 22nd - 27th September

I don't know whether to finish this off.. I've still got to bore you all with Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Summary

Saturday - Highline / Beers / Accomplice / Beers

Sunday - Beer & Football / Yankee Stadium and No Beer

Monday - Raining / Pizza / Federal Bank Tour / Beer & the hunt for Absolut Brooklyn

M