We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK Restaurant fo 5 hour connection on Thanksgiving Day

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
JFK Restaurant fo 5 hour connection on Thanksgiving Day

We have a 5 hour connection at JFK before flying overseas on Thanksgiving. Is there a nice restaurant where we could go for a nice lunch instead of just sitting in the terminal?

We don't mind leaving and coming back if that is a better option as we have so much time.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,257 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
552 Reviews
from $34.00*
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK Restaurant fo 5 hour connection on Thanksgiving Day

For a 5 hour layover it is difficult because it is around an Hour travel time to most places and then you have to be back two hours before you flight. Leaving you with exactly ONE hour (once you've figured in travel time back and forth). If you had an hour more I'm sure you would have got some better suggestions.

It is a shame that such a huge airport doesn't even have one decent hotel with the potential of a really nice restaurant. The JFK Courtyard by Marriot''s restaurant is open from 5-10 on Thanksgiving, I don't know what it is like but you could give it a try if others are also at a loss for options. It probably will be just a touch better than the restaurants at the airport.

Some one that knows Queens better may have some suggestions of something by the Jamaica station's airtran (which is a neighborhood you could reach easily in 20-30 mins on the JFK airtran). Here is a map with subway and airtran map to give you an idea:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

I'm assuming you will have your luggage checked or re-checked and this may also take time. If you really have more time with this considered in already you may want to vote to run for it. It could be possible to get to Manhattan if you already have your boarding passes for your next flight and just have to go through security and make it to the gate

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,814 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK Restaurant fo 5 hour connection on Thanksgiving Day

With only five hours, I wouldn't risk leaving the terminal. I'm sorry I can't recommend a restaurant at JFK, and I have no idea what will be open inside the airport on Thanksgiving Day. I hope you find something.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK Restaurant fo 5 hour connection on Thanksgiving Day

Head to T5 (JetBlue) and try 5ive Steak. They may have a Thanksgiving Dinner, but even if they don't, it's a very nice dining experience.

http://www.jetblue.com/about/jfk/dining.html

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK Restaurant fo 5 hour connection on Thanksgiving Day

As you may know the JFK airtran will take you to either Howard Beach (not much around there) or Jamacia station in about 20 miutes. For Jamacia Sation there is a nieghborhood called Kew Gardens (a 10-15 min walk from the airtran)that will very likely have a decent restaurant open somewhere on thanksgiving.

Maybe you should do a new Post with "Kew Gardens restaurants" as the heading and then find out who is open on Thanksgiving. I've live in Manhattan and although I've been to Kew Gardens several times for work, train transfers, a pool, a beer garden, I don't know the restaurants that well. I am sure someone on the forum must know.

By the way props on the number of post.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK Restaurant fo 5 hour connection on Thanksgiving Day

What are your airlines and what time are they scheduled to Arrive at JFK and then depart on second flight?

You really wont have 5 hours...........

Edited: 9:19 pm, September 01, 2010
6. Re: JFK Restaurant fo 5 hour connection on Thanksgiving Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 01, 2011