We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun Sweet 16 Ideas NYC

nj
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Fun Sweet 16 Ideas NYC

Hi, I'm trying to think of something fun and unique for a sweet 16 for my daughter. She doesnt want the typical "pink poofy dress" party as she calls it. I'm considing hiring a limo bus for about 25 teenagers and heading into NYC to celebrate. Her birthday is in January but I'm considering doing it on a weekend in mid-December so the tree is up at Rockefeller Center and I figured we could add a stop at the tree to the end of the night. I'm considering Jekyll & Hydes, but all recent reviews I find seem awful. (I havent been there in about 6 or so years and dont remember much about it.) Has anyone had a good experience there lately? Is it "lame" for 16 year olds? Any other suggestions for something fun to do with a group. I also considered taking them to see the radio city christmas show but I dont think having to sit quietly is what they'd prefer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you! Pat

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun Sweet 16 Ideas NYC

Hi patspaldi. Happy early 16th birthday to your daughter.

Two questions.

Q - Is it correct to infer from your post that budget is no object?

Q - Is the party intended to be a surprise of sorts, or does your daughter have some ideas of her own and want to take part in the planning?

nj
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun Sweet 16 Ideas NYC

Well...I wouldn't go as far as to say budget is not a problem....I'm thinking in the range of about $2,000 to $2,500 for whatever activity we do. (Not including the cost of limo.) If we found something a bit higher and we really wanted to book it, we could shorten the guest list a bit.

She knows about the party and is pretty much open to anything thats fun and different.

Thanks! Pat

Jersey City
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun Sweet 16 Ideas NYC

What are her interests? I'm a 17 year old girl but I wouldn't want to dress up to go eat dinner, on the other hand, my best friend loves that kind of thing.

nj
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun Sweet 16 Ideas NYC

She really likes scary movies and paranormal type shows (totally addicted to Ghost Hunters and other similar shows). Of course shes into music......glued to the ipod like any other teenager. She likes to dress up occasionally but more for a dance than a formal type dinner. She would definitely enjoy a dance club type party, but I'm not sure how the other parents would feel about a "club", unless I could find something thats only for teens, but not lame. Open to suggestions. Thanks.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun Sweet 16 Ideas NYC

don't worry mom your group is not going to get into any real club in NYC at that age. I do think that J&H would be considered lame by most. Hopefully there will be some adult supervision.. If you do end up for dinner somewhere it will take a lot of pre planning and the gratuity will likely be already added in.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun Sweet 16 Ideas NYC

I think J & H is very lame and the food is just awful.

Cafewha.com

is a popular place with music and comedy. An evening there could be fun.

What about a ghosts of NYC walking tour

http://www.ghostsofny.com/

www.walkingnyctours.com/NYCGhostTours.php

Accomplicenewyork.com

has been very popular and they might be able to craft a special event that's themed to things your daughter likes. It's part scavenger hunt, part performance and part tour.

Here are some theaters that play cult movies

…timeout.com/articles/film/83403/where-to-se…

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun Sweet 16 Ideas NYC

I wouldn't do her party in December for several reasons:

1)Many people already have a calendar full of holiday events/parties in December-- so your daughter's party would be competing against the rest of the holiday festivities

2) people's gift giving budgets are already over-stretched in December

3) Once your daughter's actual birthday arrives, the thrill of the party in December will long be over and her actual birthday will feel quite anti-climatic.

If your daughter loves music and dancing, what about something like an Interactive 80's prom party (the kids now are into the 80's) -- there's a company that does sweet 16 80's interactive prom parties at webster hall:

awesome80sprom.com/80s-sweet-sixteen-party.h…

Webster Hall has under 21 birthday packages also:

http://www.websterhall.com/vip/index.php

Or for something completely different, what about a Private Pizza Tour of the city?:

http://www.scottspizzatours.com/p/faq/

8. Re: Fun Sweet 16 Ideas NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:52 am, February 24, 2011