We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to eat in Greenwich village and chelsea

mtl
Level Contributor
21 posts
where to eat in Greenwich village and chelsea

I'll be staying in Chelsea for 4 days and am looking for good food, interesting location, nice atmosphere restaurants in the 2 areas. Any suggestions. We are 2 adults and 2 kids, so we're not looking for anything too fancy.... thx

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
27,073 posts
1. Re: where to eat in Greenwich village and chelsea

That's a very vague request. There are more than 300 restaurants in Chelsea, and more than 600 in the Village. Can you tell us more about the type of food and budget you're looking for? How old are the kids? Alternatively, you could go to www.menupages.com and see what appeals to you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
105,656 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: where to eat in Greenwich village and chelsea

menupages.com

is a good place for you to start. In Chelsea, I think Zemi is a very interesting place with an eclectic menu and inexpensively priced.

menupages.com/restaurants/zemi-restaurant/

In the village, Otto's for pizza is upscale and attractive (and a bit trendy) while John's pizzeria is old NY/historic. Smorgaschef might be fun. North Square inside the Washington Square hotel has surprisingly good food.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: where to eat in Greenwich village and chelsea

There is a New York tradition that is good for tourists and New Yorkers alike. Most restaurants post their menus outside. Often, my wife and I will just walk down the street looking at the menus that are posted before making a decision. Once we find a cuisine that we like, with prices that are good, we look to see if the restaurant has patrons. If it is not empty - or too packed- we go in.

With the hundreds of restaurants in the Villages and in Chelsea, you will have so many to choose from. Yelp, Chowhound and MenuPages are great food resources to check out on line.

mtl
Level Contributor
21 posts
4. Re: where to eat in Greenwich village and chelsea

Thanks for your replies!! I will check out the sites you all recommended... I realize my request is a bit vague, and probably the best thing to do is, as suggested, walk around the areas a bit with a few key restos in mind... thx!!!!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: where to eat in Greenwich village and chelsea

Keste is good for pizza in the Village.

http://kestepizzeria.com/home.html

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: where to eat in Greenwich village and chelsea

"probably the best thing to do is, as suggested, walk around the areas a bit with a few key restos in mind... "

But, the even better thing to do is at least tell us what foods you and your kids like or dislike.

How old are they?

mtl
Level Contributor
21 posts
7. Re: where to eat in Greenwich village and chelsea

the kids are 8 and 9... we will most likely be looking for salads, pastas, sandwich - burger places, places for brunch, lots of fish, not so much red meat... we love asian or asian-fusion... thx!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
105,656 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: where to eat in Greenwich village and chelsea

For brunch, Blue Water Grill--nice outdoor terrace or indoors, an old bank. North Square in the Washington Square hotel has a jazz brunch as does Garage---all in the village.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
9. Re: where to eat in Greenwich village and chelsea

If you like Asian, then I think Zemi and Omai are both good options.

http://www.omainyc.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/zemi-new-york

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: where to eat in Greenwich village and chelsea

I'd reco Patsy's Pizza on W23rd. and 8th/9th Ave.

Also, there are dozens of Thai-Asian places aroud. There's one Thai-Sushi place on 9th around 28th called Chai (or something like that.)

I think Republic Noodles on Union Square West would be good for the kids.

brgr and New York Burger might be good choices.