We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Its All About Food!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
453 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Its All About Food!

Hubby and I love our food, so we were hoping that you could recommend great steak restaurants and also great Italian one's. We dont mind if its off the beaten track a little.

Thanks

Emma

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Its All About Food!

Hi

My wife and I went to NYC in July last year. We went to an Italian places called Il Bagatto on 192 East 2nd in East Village and they served pretty good food. We also went to a place called Strip house located on 13 E. 12th St. in Greenwich Village. This is a steakhouse but maybe a bit more classy then we had expected. I have posted reviews of the two places in my trip report on http://gardkarlsen.com. You will also find lots of pictures from NYC :-)

Regards

Gard

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Its All About Food!

Strip House is indeed a great choice for steak. There are just so many good steak places now in NYC. The "hottest" (ie trendiest) is currently BLT Steak. Since it sounds like you're planning this trip almost a year in advance, perhaps it won't be so difficult to get a reservation there by that time ;+) Other good steak places include Sparks, the Palm, Del Frisco, MarkJoseph. Since food is important to you, I'd consider subscribing to Zagat.com for restaurant reviews etc. It's as highly regarded here as Harden's is there for London.

Chowhound.com and egullet.com are both "foodie" websites where you'll find knowledge people who've eaten at most every restaurant. As I said in another post, nymetro.com also has good rest. info. Finally, menupages.com is a website that lists almost every rest. and also has menus you can look at.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Its All About Food!

Forgot about Italian. There are probably more Italian rest. per square inch in NYC than any other cuisine. Some are fancy, some are neighborhood dives, some specialize in pasta, some are northern Italian, souther Italian etc. etc. Mario Batali is the current king of Italian restos in NY. He has several and they're all good. They're also all difficult to get a table at.

Erminia is a small, romantic, neighborhood (upper east side) place that I like but it's pricey. If you want to go to Little Italy, try Il Pallazzo. In the theater district, Becco is popular for their $21.95 pasta dinner.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Its All About Food!

You absolutely should subscribe to Zagat's online. It costs a dollar or two more than buying a book, but it gives you access to current directories worldwide.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
453 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Its All About Food!

Thanks for the website links they are very helpful.

Ive also been looking at carmines? Is this a good place to go for lunch? They dont take reservations, do you normally have a long wait? Also I believe that there are two, one of which is on Broadway, is one better then the other?

Thanks for all your help.

Emma

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Its All About Food!

Don't go to Carmine's unless you're bringing friends. They only serve family sized portions, so each dish feeds 6 hungry people.

I like Osteria Stella, a newish Italian in midtown, and their portions are more human sized.

And the cosy Caffe Buon Gusto on the UES has incredible Bolognese sauce.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
453 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Its All About Food!

Battina, could we ask to split a meal at C's or would this be a big no-no?

Thanks

Emma

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Its All About Food!

Everyone splits meals at Carmine's. Each dish serves an entire family! But if you're only two people, that's an awful lot to eat. They don't do individual portions at all. Really, it's a silly place to go with just two people.

London, England
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Its All About Food!

Emma, my boyfriend and I went to Carmine's for lunch on Monday. We ordered a lunch dish between us and this was fine. I'm not saying that it wasn't huge but I guess it depends on how much you can eat. I love my food and everything but we didn't look greedy and there were other couples eating at lunchtime too. The waiter advised us to order one dish and share which we did.

I must also add that the reason we visited Carmine's is because we wanted a big meal before our flight which was at 9.15pm. We didn't need to eat again until we were served on the plane. That should put things into perspective!