We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train New York to Montreal or Quebec

london
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
Train New York to Montreal or Quebec

Hi

We would like to travel from New York to MOntreal or Quebec

So is this easy with passports?

Can this be done with a hire car?

How do you book?

Is it a great scenic journey?

How much should we expect to pay?

Many thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from $175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,100 reviews
from $199.00*
$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from $83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from $36.00*
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,501 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train New York to Montreal or Quebec

1) It's a standard international border. If your passport's in order, you shouldn't have a problem.

2) It's unfortunately very difficult and expensive to get a car rental agency to agree to let you cross the border in their car.

3) There's one train a day. The train is VERY slow. Book it at amtrak.com. Greyhound runs nine buses a day. Faster but less comfortable. Book them at neonbus.com.

4) The train route is extremely beautiful and scenic. You pass through woods and by the shores of dramatic rivers and lakes. Scenery is enhanced by the slow speeds. The bus route is just a motorway, not scenic.

5) $65-90 each way depending on when you book

Montreal
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train New York to Montreal or Quebec

Check out this post about the train on the Montreal forum:

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g155032-i51-k215215…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train New York to Montreal or Quebec

Although I think the most convenient would be to fly..it's barely an hour flight..been a while since I've taken Amtrak..don't know schedules which would be easy enough to find..but last I went via train to Montreal, I took an overnighter..no scenics..but you can book a sleeper in lieu of a hotel room if that's a consideration which you gets you in nice and early w/no time wasted..but again, you'd have to check the schedules since it's been a while..at the time, I also returned via Amtrak on a day train..which was indeed scenic;-) Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,395 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train New York to Montreal or Quebec

I was going to lead you to that same thread also linked here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2757025…

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train New York to Montreal or Quebec

Coincidently, I'm just planning a short trip from NYC to Quebec and Montreal in September. I'm flying "open jaw" into Quebec and out of Montreal for $376. The flights take around an hour and a half.

Amtrak train also makes this trip. It will cost about $130 round trip and the trip will take about 11 hours to Montreal.

To rent a car and drive would take you around 6 hours to Montreal and I think around the same amount of time to Quebec. Montreal and Quebec are around three hours apart. How much it will cost to rent the car will depend on how long you plan to stay. It will be cheaper if you have several travelers.

The Canadian rail train "Viarail" cost about $49 dollars Montreal/Quebec but there's also buses that leave more often. The train takes a little over 3 hours from Montreal to Quebec.

Edited: 1:32 pm, July 30, 2010
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train New York to Montreal or Quebec

....interestingly enough, when I booked the flight to Montreal, flight time was suppose to be around that..and hour and half! We flew American Eagle..small craft..took 55 min flat..couldn't beieve it!! Enjoyin'!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train New York to Montreal or Quebec

Every flight out of New York tacks on about 30% extra time than the actual flight to account for delays.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train New York to Montreal or Quebec

....too bad they don't do that w/all flights..especially the trans;-)) Enjoyin'!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Train New York to Montreal or Quebec

I wasn't aware of the delay problems till after I read KateOz's trip report from the Quebec Forum about her trip to Quebec.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155033-i134-k2004…

My friend Kate actually had a return flight totally canceled and seems to have spent a night in the airport. At least my return flight is out Montreal. I have been getting some advice from my other friends Northerndecorator (a NYC Forum poster) ..... and also a PM with a kind offer of info from Momsoftravelers (another Montreal resident). So it's a ..... "you scratch my back and I'll scratch your's" ..... kind of world on TA.

london
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train New York to Montreal or Quebec

Well thank you for all of your advice.

It has given me alot to think about. Maybe a mixture of car and train may be the answer.

Thanks again