1) It's a standard international border. If your passport's in order, you shouldn't have a problem.
2) It's unfortunately very difficult and expensive to get a car rental agency to agree to let you cross the border in their car.
3) There's one train a day. The train is VERY slow. Book it at amtrak.com. Greyhound runs nine buses a day. Faster but less comfortable. Book them at neonbus.com.
4) The train route is extremely beautiful and scenic. You pass through woods and by the shores of dramatic rivers and lakes. Scenery is enhanced by the slow speeds. The bus route is just a motorway, not scenic.
5) $65-90 each way depending on when you book
Although I think the most convenient would be to fly..it's barely an hour flight..been a while since I've taken Amtrak..don't know schedules which would be easy enough to find..but last I went via train to Montreal, I took an overnighter..no scenics..but you can book a sleeper in lieu of a hotel room if that's a consideration which you gets you in nice and early w/no time wasted..but again, you'd have to check the schedules since it's been a while..at the time, I also returned via Amtrak on a day train..which was indeed scenic;-) Enjoy!
I was going to lead you to that same thread also linked here
Amtrak train also makes this trip. It will cost about $130 round trip and the trip will take about 11 hours to Montreal.
To rent a car and drive would take you around 6 hours to Montreal and I think around the same amount of time to Quebec. Montreal and Quebec are around three hours apart. How much it will cost to rent the car will depend on how long you plan to stay. It will be cheaper if you have several travelers.
The Canadian rail train "Viarail" cost about $49 dollars Montreal/Quebec but there's also buses that leave more often. The train takes a little over 3 hours from Montreal to Quebec.Edited: 1:32 pm, July 30, 2010
....interestingly enough, when I booked the flight to Montreal, flight time was suppose to be around that..and hour and half! We flew American Eagle..small craft..took 55 min flat..couldn't beieve it!! Enjoyin'!
Every flight out of New York tacks on about 30% extra time than the actual flight to account for delays.
....too bad they don't do that w/all flights..especially the trans;-)) Enjoyin'!
I wasn't aware of the delay problems till after I read KateOz's trip report from the Quebec Forum about her trip to Quebec.
My friend Kate actually had a return flight totally canceled and seems to have spent a night in the airport. At least my return flight is out Montreal. I have been getting some advice from my other friends Northerndecorator (a NYC Forum poster) ..... and also a PM with a kind offer of info from Momsoftravelers (another Montreal resident). So it's a ..... "you scratch my back and I'll scratch your's" ..... kind of world on TA.
Well thank you for all of your advice.
It has given me alot to think about. Maybe a mixture of car and train may be the answer.