We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best private dining room for dinner for 16 foodies

Los Angeles...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best private dining room for dinner for 16 foodies

Hello,

I am planning a private dinner for 16 foodies in NYC in October. I'd like a restaurant that has fabulous food, a great ambiance, and a well known or up and coming chef at the helm.

So far I am looking at Del Posto, Eleven Madison Park, A Voce Columbus, SHO Shaun Hergatt, Aldea, and Barbuton.

Would love some thoughts on these or other recommendations. Trying to stay under 150 a head w/o drinks.

Thanks so much!

Lindsay

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best private dining room for dinner for 16 foodies

I think all your choices are terrific - although I will say I was unimpressed by Eleven Mad, but I am in the minority. I have no idea whether they each have a private dining room, but assume you checked that already.

Los Angeles...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best private dining room for dinner for 16 foodies

Thanks for your input :) I really appreciate it ... I am also considering the modern ... thoughts?

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best private dining room for dinner for 16 foodies

Le Bernadin has a private room and its a terrific restaurant. Whether they will make it available for a group of 16 (when I was there, the group I was in was more like 40-50), I don't know. Excluding drinks, I think you might be able to do it price-wise.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
215 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best private dining room for dinner for 16 foodies

WD-50 has a private dining room in their wine cellar. There are some different options on menus and courses that fit your budget.

http://www.wd-50.com/private.html

New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best private dining room for dinner for 16 foodies

a couple of comments.....

First, I am a fan of ll Mad....and the space is magnificent...the private room looks over the dining space.....wonder if kate visited it since the new chef took over...it has a slightly French accent now, really liked it; the Modern is excellent too but if they have a private room i have never seen it; I know that Gramercy Tavern has a small private room but that may not be "hot" enough for you although it is considered our most popular restaurant by Zagat

Several of your choices are "hot" restaurants but very noisy.....if a completely separate private room is available, no problem, but if they are going to seat you at a big long table in the dining room, you won't be able to hear anyone more than two seats away from you.....this is particularly true at Del Posto and Barbuto (not Barbuton)....the latter was a garage and in the nice weather the door is open to the street and it is very noisy....so if these two, do check what your space will be; But maybe you want this kind of vibe and don't care if people can talk to each other

and re your price: i have planned some high school and college reunion get togethers in the city for groups of that size and larger...i find that the moment you go over 8 or 10, the price goes up, and the selection goes down.....so if you start with a place that has a $95 prix fixe, for example, your price for the group per person i have found will be a good $25 more...and then you have to factor in the 20 or 25% tip for the group, tax and of course drinks/wine

I adore La Bernadin but never include it in a group get together because there is very little on the menu other than fish and seafood...just two or three items at most.....and in a group that size, there is always going to be a vegetarian or two, plus someone who is allergic to fish and or seafood...Save it for a dinner for two if you love fish.

I would take a look at Scalini Fedeli...in the old Bouley space...gorgeous, excellent food, new hot chef, great service and in Tribeca....great for a walk before or after dinner, even over to the Hudson. Enjoy!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best private dining room for dinner for 16 foodies

I coordinated 2 wine dinners at North Square on Waverly in Greenwich Village. The price was ~$80 per person all included. One dinner was for 12, the other for 24. There is a fee if you use their private room (minimum 12 people and max of 24.)

Los Angeles...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best private dining room for dinner for 16 foodies

Wow! What a great response ... thanks you soooo much! Del Posto does have a completely private room and I am leaning towards that but I will look at the other places suggested :) THANK YOU

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best private dining room for dinner for 16 foodies

The private dining room downstairs at BLT Prime is one of my favorite spaces for events involving a sophisticated group of people. It is a very nice space and I absolutely love Laurent Tourondel's menu.

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
77 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best private dining room for dinner for 16 foodies

I think you have a nice "short list" of choices. Your late inclusion of The Modern is an excellent idea. If you could arrange either a Friday evening or that one Thursday this October (10/7), it would be an evening that MOMA has late hours, giving your guests a chance to stroll through a great museum before sitting down to fine dining at the on- premises Modern. (I suppose it would also work on another evening if your starting time followed soon after the usual museum closing hours). The cuisine is both terrific and creative and as a Danny Meyers establishment (Union Square Cafe, Gramercy Tavern, 11 Mad Park, Tabla), you can count on great service from the Modern's extraordinarily people-oriented staff

Los Angeles...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best private dining room for dinner for 16 foodies

Thanks NYCdog ... sadly the modern can't take us on Friday Oct 8 ... so I am leaning toward 11 Mad ... would you recommend that over his other establishments? Gramercy tavern looks a little to rustic for this event ...