We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Greenwich Village?

Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in Greenwich Village?

Hi Everyone,

Going to be in NY in Sept and hiring a car for 2 days (heading out of the city for 2 days) but are going back to our apartment to sleep at night. Will there be anywhere to park on or near Cornelia Street? If so what might parking charges be like?

We are thinking of asking the rental car company if we can park the car there overnight if parking is not an option. (It's about a 5 min walk away from the apartment).

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cornelia Street Cafe
Cornelia Street Cafe
338 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Greenwich Village?

www.bestparking.com

This site shows you parking garages in any area and the estimated cost.

You really do not need a rental car in NYC. Is there a reason you will have one? Why can't you rent it for 2 days and then return it, so you don't need to park it in Manhattan?

Are you staying with friends? I am concerned that you have mentioned an apartment in Greenwich Village - many vacation rentals in New York are scams or illegal. If you found it on www.vrbo.com or another rental site, please let us know the address so we can confirm it's on the up and up.

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,514 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Greenwich Village?

Street parking in Greenwich Village is very difficult. There is a very limited amount of parking and it is always fiercely competitive to get a space.

It really would be best to avoid having the car for the couple days you are in New York City.

As Kateoz mentioned, most short term apartment rentals in New York City are illegal (regardless of your experience in Paris or elsehwhere). There have been numerous cases recently of visitors arriving from Australia especially where they've paid for an apartment (and sometimes a "refundable" security deposit) only to learn that no such apartment exists and they've lost *ALL* their money. Be careful.

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,514 Reviews
New York City, NY
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,483 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Greenwich Village?

The odds of the rental company allowing you to park are zero to none. Your best bet is finding a parking garage and paying. Understand that people who live in Manhattan frequently don't own cars and those that do will pay monthly rates that are more than what it cost for a two bedroom apartment in other parts of the US.

That being said--do you definitely need the vehicle for each of your day trips. If so--just pay the garage!

Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Greenwich Village?

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

We realise that a rental car in NY is less than ideal, but it's only for 2 days (we are there for 10). Public transport wouldn't be practial for where we are going out of the city. So a car is a must of these 2 days.

Thanks for the concern about the apartment, we researched it well and also purchased vacation rental protection. I'm pretty internet savy and didn't just book the first apartment that I found. I also requested additional photos, phone numbers etc etc. If anyone would be wanting to double check it for me, please PM me and I'll give you the details though.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Greenwich Village?

If not a scam, it shouts illegal.

Thing is, I've got US phone numbers, you could call me on, they're even NYC based. So, that doesn't mean the person is in NYC. And, photos. well they're easy to come by, because you just make sure you have loads.

If you've booked for under 30 days, the apartment rental is illegal, and what could happen is that you're kicked out on the street. Worst case scenario, it won't actually exist.

I've never heard of Vacation Rental protection, will that basically pay full price for a hotel when you've been kicked out because it is illegal in the place you are staying? Or will that make it invalid? How not post the details on the forum?

Edited: 2:52 am, July 12, 2010
Mentioned in this post
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in Greenwich Village?

I'd be very concerned. The vacancy rate in Greenwich Village is extremely low and there are very few people (if any) holding on to spare apartments that they really want to spend time renting to visitors. The fact is that the scammers are really good and even one of your famous travel writers out of Melbourne - he thought he was super savvy - got scammed on an apartment rental. I'd be very concerned - it just doesn't smell right.

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,514 Reviews
New York City, NY
South Pole
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking in Greenwich Village?

>You really do not need a rental car in NYC.

This is untrue.

I hired a car for a month last winter in NYC. Would definitely recommend. Have used street parking in Greenwich village in daytime feeding money in the meters or the expensive parking bays. Listen to local radio for 'alternative parking rules apply', it doesn't apply often but means you can almost park anywhere on the street free.

Positives of a rental car in NYC: You can do/see 10+ times more things than subway or taxi. NYC has the BEST shopping in the world and you can fill up the car. Drive to Atlantic City New Jersey etc. Driving across the Brooklyn bridge and through the suburbs listening to HOT97 eating a bagel is NYC culture in itself

You will be a baller compared to the sardines on the subway. TRUST.

I used Europcar in East Harlem and had no problems.

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,514 Reviews
New York City, NY
Atlantic City
Atlantic City
Jersey Shore, NJ
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
17,407 Reviews
New York City, NY
Harlem
Harlem
1,060 Reviews
New York City, NY
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking in Greenwich Village?

By the description, I'm guessing it's this apt:

http://www.vrbo.com/202933

In which case it would appear to be 37 Cornelia Street (looking at Google Street Maps) and, if so, guess what? The DOB has an outstanding complaint for "BLDG IN WHICH OWNER IS RENTING OUT APARTMENTS ILLEGALLY AS HOTEL ROOMS"

…nyc.gov/bisweb/OverviewForComplaintServlet…

Of course, it could be another apartment on Cornelia Street...

Mentioned in this post
Cornelia Street Cafe
Cornelia Street Cafe
338 Reviews
New York City, NY
Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking in Greenwich Village?

MaidstoneNic - No it's not that apartment, but yes I heard that was a scam.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,892 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking in Greenwich Village?

hertz.com/rentacar/specialoffers/index.jsp…