We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Cloisters

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
The Cloisters

I've been to Manhattan many times, but have not yet been to The Cloisters. Should I go? If so, how should I get there from around 72nd and Madison? I will appreciate all help!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Cloisters

Believe it or not, it's one of the things I haven't done yet either. There's a bus from in front of the Met Museum that goes. ;) From the museum website...

Directions to The Cloisters

From Main Building

From Madison Avenue and 83rd Street, take M4 bus directly to the last stop (Fort Tryon Park–The Cloisters).

By Subway/Bus

Take M4 bus directly to the last stop (Fort Tryon Park–The Cloisters) or take A train to 190th Street, exit station by elevator, and walk north along Margaret Corbin Drive for approximately ten minutes; to avoid walking, transfer to M4 bus and ride one stop north.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Cloisters

By all means, you should go! However, if you come to New York often, my advice is to go when the weather is warmer, and the cloisters themselves (and their interior gardens) are open and comfortable to visit. The easiest and cheapest way to get there from 72nd and Madison, although not the fastest, is to take the M4 bus to the last stop -- which is practically at the Cloisters' front door. You can also take the bus down Fifth after leaving the Cloisters to visit the Main Building of the Metropolitan -- because the same admission button is good at both places on the same day.

New York City
Level Contributor
774 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Cloisters

It seems as if you come to Manhattan quite a bit. While I do think a visit to the Cloisters is always a great idea, if you're planning on coming in the spring or summer maybe hold off until then. The grounds around the Cloisters are really pretty, with well-tended gardens that should be in bloom that time of year.

That being said, if you do decide to go this winter, you'll still be treated to some great views of the Hudson and a beautifully restored/reconstructed cloister.

If you've never been in the northern parts of Manhattan before, the M4 bus that the other poster mentions is a good option because you go through many different neighborhoods. But if you're in a hurry, take the subway.

Hope that helps.

CAT
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
19 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Cloisters

Many of the others advise visiting in warmer seasons, which is great because of the beautiful park surrounding the Cloisters. However, if you're visiting at holiday time, there is often special programming, like Medieval music, or special decorations, that make a visit in the winter quite special. Also, if you're planning a visit to the Cloisters, you may want to include dinner or brunch at a wonderful restaurant tucked away inside Fort Tryon Park: The New Leaf Cafe. It's an unusual setting for a New York Restaurant,and though the service can be iffy at times, the food is really good. They are open Tuesday-Sunday evenings, and for brunch on Sunday. It is very close to the Cloisters and the two combined would make for a lovely day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Cloisters

after our visit to the Met. we decided to take the bus up to the cloisters. this is a long trip - about an hour - but it gave us the chance to see alot of manhattan. if you do not have the time, take the subway.

we're glad that we went there. the cloisters is serene and relaxing. it is a great setting for the medieval pieces.