We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping and hostel - is it safe

southampton
5 posts
Save Topic
Shopping and hostel - is it safe

I'm off to New York in Janauary and i'm staying in the Manhattan Inn Hostel. I want to buy a lot of clothes etc.

What is the best way of keeping all my stuff safe when i'm sharing with 5 other people? Should i worry at all?

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping and hostel - is it safe

Maybe the hostel will have lockers, but I wouldn't leave my shopping items around.

southampton
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping and hostel - is it safe

Thanks. Anyone else have some advice?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
148 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping and hostel - is it safe

check this site for hostel reviews. type it into a search

southampton
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping and hostel - is it safe

Thanks. Checked it out but no real info. Never hostel'd before. Do you just keep your cases under your bed? god knows!!!!

Katherine, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping and hostel - is it safe

Hi there,

I am quite sure you will find there are lockers. Your room mates will probably change maybe every couple of days but take the time to get to know them and then assess your situation. From experience I have found fellow travellers particularly the ones on a budget, trustworthy. If you do purchase items of value talk with the staff on the desk re security facilities. We stayed quite long periods of time in hostels in Canada and NY and never heard any stories or experienced any problems.

One suggestion though, buy some ear plugs, on the weekends some travellers who were there just for the weekend partied a bit hard and could be a bit loud, I found my ear plugs a god send.

Hope you have a great time, Anne.

Katherine, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping and hostel - is it safe

Yes, you keep your suitcases under your bed, evryone kind of respects the sharing of space. You may be lucky and not have a full room some nights.

southampton
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping and hostel - is it safe

Annie;

Thanks for this and sorry didn't reply earlier. Just came back. Yep. as you said absolutely safe. Felt safer than leaving stuff in my work office!!!!!

Noise wasn't too bad either. Had a few drinks first so that helped!!!!

Thanks again

Paul

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping and hostel - is it safe

Hi Paul,

Glad you had a great trip.

Are you going to submit a trip report for us?