We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convienence Stores

England
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Topic
Convienence Stores

Where can you buy snacks such as pre-packed cakes, crisps, bottled water etc from? Are there convienence stores between 52nd Street and Times Squae or would I need to buy from a deli? Thanks

Tigerbarb

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convienence Stores

In New York City, a so-called deli (for few are true delicatessens) is a convenience store. Indeed, the concept of chains such as 7-11 and others seems to be to take the urban deli model to places where it is unknown. I do not think you will find such a chain store in midtown Manhattan, while on the other hand you will not be able to go a block without finding an independent deli/candy store/news stand/market/bodega, or a chain drugstore, where snacks, soda, bottle water, coffee, and the like are readily available.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Convienence Stores

There's also a Food Emporium, a supermarket chain, at 8th Ave. and 49th St.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Convienence Stores

There are convenience markets all over NYC. The area you mention has quite a few.

Some call themselves deli's - but no worries, you'll be able to find what you're looking for on almost every corner.

Many of the establishments have flowers and fresh fruit displayed in the front of their store.

Some even offer a hot food buffet. so, you see, you'll be able to get more than you bargained for.

Welcome to the States.

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Convienence Stores

Also Duane Reade pharmacies which are on every other block in Manhattan sell everything you mentioned and many are open 24 hours a day.

DC
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Convienence Stores

Hiya nyc10025~

I was going to suggest the same thing. I always stay at the Hotel New Yorker and when I get there I run over to Duane Reade and get a little styrofoam cooler and some sodas and even a small container, and some breakfast serial.

I then take the cooler to the ice machine at the hotel and fill it up and put my soda and milk in it.

That way no $2.00 sodas from the machine, and a cheap breakfast before I leave in the a.m.

You can't beat Duane Reade. And, their plastic bags are industructable! I use them here in DC to carry things to work, and New Yorkers down here visiting ask me is there is a Duane Reade in DC.

And as you said, they are all over the place.

Cheers,

Dev

NYC
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Convienence Stores

If you have to buy lots of food items and want to treat yourself to some great options (but spend a bit more), I'd recommend going up a couple more blocks to the Whole Foods at the bottom of the Time Warner Center. It has everything you could ever want.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
775 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Convienence Stores

If 7-11-like convenience stores are what you need, you can't be in a better place than Manhattan.

Stourbridge, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Convienence Stores

I stayed at Millenium Hotel on Broadway in June 2005 (West 44th Street I think) and right opposite their front door was the Times Deli. Pre-packed cakes, drinks allsorts. Excellent stuff. Beautiful.

sbj
UK
Level Contributor
282 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Convienence Stores

It amused me a couple of years back when I was looking through a guide book and saw a Duane Reade store put on the map. How they decided on which one of the hundreds (thousands ?) of stores to choose from, I have no idea. Truly, I don't ever think you can be more than 4 blocks away from a Duane Reade in midtown. My wife loves them and goes through withdrawal symptoms whenever she has been away for more than a few months.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Convienence Stores

Duane Reade stores totally rock. Everything from toothpaste to wine. Not a place to buy deli food, but a great place to pick up a few snacks and necessities. They're all over Manahattan, and I'm glad for that!