We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money

UK
12 posts
Save Topic
money

Hello everyone.

I will be in NYC this time is two weeks times. Cant wait as its my first trip to NYC.

I was wondering whether to change most of my money before I come over or to wait until I get to the NYC? Whats to exchage rate like.

Also is it cold?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money

We normally take some Dollars and then our card for cash machine. If you plan on withdrawing money check with your bank before you go that your card works in US and has autotellers in NY.

Used to take Travellers cheques but found them a bit of a hassle. Also need to consider if your hotel has a room safe.

Level Contributor
119 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money

Just got our money and the exchange rate is really bad...only 1.64...it was up to 1.8 back in August wish I'd bought it then. We usually take a bit of money and then use cards over there, it's worth letting your card company know as my father had his blocked abroad once last year as it was out of the usual spending pattern.

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: money

Use credit card to make purchases and bank card to get cash at NY ATMs. If you are going to exchange pounds for dollars, do it in US because you will get a better rate.

Stourbridge, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money

I don't work for them or anything, but when I went I took a Nationwide credit card to buy stuff as they do not charge anything extra for purchases abroad. Most credit cards charge you an additional 2.75% for the priveledge of using them overseas.

I took a few dollars with me to cover cab fares and hot-dogs etc.

sbj
UK
Level Contributor
282 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money

Are you sure about the credit card charges. I've used 3 in the US (Visa, Mastercard and Amex) and never had that problem.

Regarding credit cards - I'd advise telling your card company as Egg stopped my card in Tiffanys (most embarassing) even though I regularly travel abroad.

Not sure about exchange rates in the US, but if you are changing money here then do it online with travelex.co.uk. You pick your cash up from the airport still, but it is zero commission and the rate is a couple of cents better than anywhere else - including the rate they offer at the airport !

Newcastle upon...
Destination Expert
for Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money

Yep almost all (exception Nationwide, they I think charge nothing in Europe and 1% in the US, but I may be wrong) credit cards levy a 2.75% charge using the cards abroad, the charge is built into the exchange rate you get, as they use a wholesale rate it usually works out the same as the rate you see in bureau de changes over here. Debit cards are again different my LTSB debit card charges another £1 on top of the 2.75%!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: money

if you live near london there is an exchange place near victoria that gives great rates always better than elsewhere.

the other good deal on at the mo is that going places has the travelers cheque card on offer, if you put $700 they give you $50 free which works out about 1.71 or 1.73 I think my husband said to the pound.

we did this the other day, got a card each so got $100 free :)

we are taking the cards, travellers cheques and cash, currenly have $500 cheques, $1500 on the cards and $1000 cash.

we had no problem using the cheques before but the card means you can use it as a credit card but its all prepaid and anywhere that takes american express regular cards (most places) you can use it.

I personally think this is a fab idea! and shall be recharging mine for usa trips next year and you can keep whatever is left on the card for future use!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: money

I usually carry about $200 USD cash when I visit New York. Once settled into a hotel I reduce cash to $100 daily, using debit card at bank. If you can't pay for it, don't do it.