We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

washington

GLASGOW,SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
washington

how far and how long to washington from nyc

we have family we would like to visit but is it doable on a ten day holiday to new york

Flushing, NY
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: washington

I drive between NYC and D.C. in about 3-1/2 hours, but I drive fast. By train I think it's about 2-1/2 hours. One hour by plane.

It's certainly doable in one day if you leave in the morning and return in the evening.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: washington

It's definitely doable but better if you stay overnight so you can take a full day and a half in D.C., there's a lot to see. Your best bet is the train, so you can avoid the trek to airports and timely screening processes at both ends. The info is at www.amtrak.com. There's a huge difference in cost between the regular trains and the Acela & Metroliners.

GLASGOW,SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: washington

thanks for the advice still in the planning stage may like new york that much won't want to leave for a day.

"and well dont really like them that much"

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: washington

The Acela train is a 2 hour and 50 minute ride from NYC to DC. Yes, it costs more than the regular train but it is faster, newer and less crowded. Plus it stops at fewer stations. So, yes, a day trip to DC is doable.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,033 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: washington

I think you have to figure 4 hrs. travel each way b/w NYC and DC. Options include train, plane, rent a car, and bus. Cheapest option is bus. There are some for ~$20-25 each way. 3-4 hr. ride. info here

http://www.staticleap.com/chinatownbus/

GLASGOW,SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: washington

thank whiz and all who answered we are just starting to put our

itinerary together so we will be bombarding everybody with more questions thanks again