We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Central Park safe?

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Is Central Park safe?

I've been told it's a muggers paradise, and that I should steer well clear when I visit. Anyone like to comment? (btw I've never been to NY).

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Central Park safe?

It's also a Lover's paradise.

Daytime Super, Night time, use your common sense, but wouldn't you use your common sense in any park at night !!!

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Central Park safe?

I would say it is safe during the day loads of people about so i would think its ok

I wouldnt go near it at night though besides would you go to a park anywhere at night i know i wouldnt

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Central Park safe?

Central Park is the safest police precinct in the safest city in the United States. Statistically, you would be safer spending the night there than in any hotel room.

If you avoid the park, you will probably be the only one of the estimated 50 million visitors to NYC this year to do so. Maybe it's worth avoiding just to earn that distinction.

Edited: 5:42 pm, April 01, 2010
New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Central Park safe?

Central Park has night time activities throughout the year, and it is very inviting, concerts,plays, ice skating, just check out the activities on the Central Park web link.

DAN, Don't know who you speak with, but they do not seem that in the know about NYC !!!

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Central Park safe?

Last time I was in New York I happened to walk in Central Park at about 8pm and msm'd my mother about something, mentioning what I was doing.

In a second my phone rang. It was my mother. I hesitated at first, answering a phone call from Europe would be quite expensive, but thought I would have to, she wouldn't call if it wasn't something very important.

"What?" *with a short and anxious voice*

"Get out of the park immidiately!! It's not safe to be in Central Park at this hour, get out of there at once!!!!!!" *voice filled with horror*

I seriously started laughing.

All around me where people, kids playing and screaming, people walking their dogs, chatting and laughing. And there, my dear mother, felt she had to call me because she was seriously worried I would get stabbed to death any second.

My mother has never been to the States, but is travelled. I have travelled alone for years. But yes, many many people think NYC and Central Park are some scary, dangerous places.

So, I really understand your question, and the answer is: yes it's safe. It's like an organic living room for the New Yorkers. One of my best memories from my trips to NY is sitting on a bench at Strawberry Fields late at night in the dark, listening to a bunch of people playing the guitar and others gathering around singing along.

The only thing I have heard though, is that some of the northern parts of the park are best to be avoided after dark, at night, as are parts of the Ramble (at night). I don't know if that is true or not, someone can probably confirm or tell us otherwise.

Edited: 5:48 pm, April 01, 2010
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Central Park safe?

I think that a lot of people who have never been here have no idea how many people are out and about at night - as to the park, I don't like to veer off into little paths where it feels deserted - day or night but that's just my own lifelong fear of those types of spots - be it Central Park or in Yosemite Park.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Central Park safe?

Dan-Sin-Kween, it is definitely safe for ABBA fans!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Central Park safe?

During the day, Central Park is incredibly safe. At night, It is less so. That said, there are often events that are held in the park at night, and these would be very safe as well.

I wonder where you got this misinformation. Perhaps a tour book from the 70s?

9. Re: Is Central Park safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:20 am, April 02, 2010
New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Central Park safe?

Brightdawns,

Maybe that's the real attraction here !!! Surviving the gangs, mingling with the Mafia, being part of a Soprano scene, well it works, look at the millions of tourists who continue to come here, who do not use this forum.

Must be safe enough, or intriguing enough.