We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Space Show and IMAX @ American Museum of Natural History

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Space Show and IMAX @ American Museum of Natural History

Anyone seen the Space Show and IMAX @ American Museum of Natural History? How is it?

Mentioned in this post
American Museum of Natural History
American Museum of...
21,105 Reviews
New York City, NY
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
458 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Space Show and IMAX @ American Museum of Natural History

I saw both the current shows (THE SEARCH FOR LIFE: ARE WE ALONE? narrated by Harrison Ford and PASSPORT TO THE UNIVERSE narrated by Tom Hanks). Terrific! Definitely recommend them.

I haven't seen the SonicVision show (the light show set to music they show at night) but I went to a different one several years ago and enjoyed that, too.

Mentioned in this post
Tom's Restaurant
Tom's Restaurant
545 Reviews
New York City, NY
Lexington
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Space Show and IMAX @ American Museum of Natural History

I have seen both space shows, both were good. I would recommend Passport to the Universe over The Search for Life, however.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Space Show and IMAX @ American Museum of Natural History

I saw it last year. It was ok, especially if you've never seen a laser/video show in a planetarium before.

I used to see "Laser Rock" and similar shows at the Hayden, so to me, SonicVision was nothing new. I wish the show was longer. I guess I didn't feel I got my money's worth. As people did "back in the day" with laser shows, I'm sure that the show would been enhanced if I was equally, internally enhanced.

Having said that, the CGI in SonicVision is pretty cool, and the patterns and ideas are inventive.

In SonicVision, there are homages and references to early computer-animation video and electronica bands from the late 70s and early 80s (like Kraftwerk and Art of Noise), so if you are familiar with those bands, you'll appreciate the imagery more. Some of it reminded also me of the animated classic "Yellow Submarine".

It also helps if you like Moby and similar artists of today.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Hayden
Hotel Hayden
310 Reviews
New York City, NY
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Space Show and IMAX @ American Museum of Natural History

I am a bit confused, sorry if this question is too dumb. so SonicVision is something different from Space Show and IMAX? I am checking their admission (price) page

www.amnh.org/museum/welcome/admission.html…

I cant find an admission fee for SonicVision???

Thanks!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Space Show and IMAX @ American Museum of Natural History

Woops!

Yes, Sonic Vision is a separate show. Sorry I wasn't clear. Here is the link:

http://www.amnh.org/rose/dome/?src=pv_p

From the webpage:

Buy one, get one free admission to SonicVision beginning January 21, 2005.

SonicVision is presented every Friday and Saturday evening, at 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30p.m.

SonicVision will not be shown on Friday, December 2nd, 9th, 16th, 24th, and 31st.

There will be no 7:30p.m. showing on November 25th, 26th and December 30th.

Tickets for Friday and Saturday night shows are:

$15 for the general public and $12 for Members, and do not include Museum admission.

You may buy tickets at the door, online or by calling Central Reservations at 212-769-5200 (Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.)

A service charge may apply. Show times are subject to change.

Mentioned in this post
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,234 Reviews
New York City, NY
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Space Show and IMAX @ American Museum of Natural History

Thanks queensboulevard for the details.. I bet I can skip the webpage! hahaa... just kidding.. am going to check out the site too!

Thanks again!