We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pro or Con? A small studio

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pro or Con? A small studio

Dears,

Me again. I just can't stop seaching....

"23 east 74th street, NY" @3500/mo NY agent price. confirmed.

I really like to be near Central Park! For what? Don't know. ha....

THANKS a TRILLION!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pro or Con? A small studio

I don't understand what you're asking. Are you staying for more than a month? What information are you looking for from us?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pro or Con? A small studio

Since you are planning to stay for more than a month (2 if I am not mistaken); you might want to choose another area.

That address is on the Upper East which is the most expensive zip code in the city. All the rental rates will be more than any other area. Why not get something cheaper and have more money to enjoy the city (where spending money is required).

Some others might be able to help. But you might want to try Harlem in areas close to the park (although it will also be expensive) or the outer Boroughs.

In the end it is your choice; the address you are looking at is in a great area. Again the grocery shopping and little items are usually more expensive that the other areas.

Edited: 9:13 am, February 22, 2010
Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pro or Con? A small studio

Hi Crans,

Sorry. I thought that some of my friends here will give me feedbacks on the place to stay. I'm planning to stay at NY for a month. In May. I've tried to ask suggestions/comments here several times. Ealier is somewhere at Midtown and 13th street around union squre. This time, a new place. Solo traveler, look for some place I can enjoy myself much, and enjoy the city. Thanks!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,942 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pro or Con? A small studio

WHAT is it you're asking?? The issue is not whether this is a good location or buliding. It's one of the fanciest neighborhoods in Manhattan and the building is actually somewhat famous as the home of the late Dorothy Parker. It's a fancy coop building and I doubt they would allow a 1 month rental with the approval of the coop board. Where did you find the listing? How do you know it's "for real"???

http://www.dorothyparker.com/dot17.htm

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pro or Con? A small studio

Yudychen,

Look at your OP again. You did not ask a question other than "Pro or Con?" in the title which really makes no sense.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,811 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pro or Con? A small studio

What/who is the NY agent who gave you this information? How do you know the agency or agency are legitimate?

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Pro or Con? A small studio

Dear WHIZ!!

Don't know. I've been subscribed sublet.com for a while ever since I decided to go to NY. And there were some new listing today in mailbox. And I sent the mail, and she returned back., ,and balabalabala...And then the price was given and me back. Anyway, we've decided to see the place sometime next week when she back from vacation. Then, we will see whether this is REAL or not.

So, that means you like the location : ) Big smile...

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Pro or Con? A small studio

Gee, WHIZ,

I read the link over and started to worry that this is too good to be true. Even quite a small studio...Anyway, time will tell.

Where's Eleanor Roosevelt's? I really enjoyed her picture book, ELEANOR..

Edited: 9:40 am, February 22, 2010
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pro or Con? A small studio

Whoa- I'm actually familiar with this particular building and can tell you that there is no way they would rent out units by the month. The board is very strict and would never allow such a thing. This has to be a scam.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,942 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pro or Con? A small studio

I like the location but YOU may not like the location. As I recall you're quite young and this is not a young happening area. It's very expensive and most young people can't afford to live here. Young people who live on the upper east side would be much further east. One major downside to this location is not a lot of restaurants or affordable supermarkets very close. You have to walk about 10 minutes east to Lexington/3rd ave. to find affordable services. The people who live in this area order things by phone for delivery. You can too, but just telling you. This is a great area if you want to spend a lot of time in museums. The Frick is 3 blocks away, the Whitney almost around the corner, the Met a short walk.