We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand central to ridgewood nj

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
grand central to ridgewood nj

what is the best way to get from grand central station to ridgewood nj?

train?

cab?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,759 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: grand central to ridgewood nj

Define best. Cheapest? Fastest? Where in Ridgewood? Is getting to the train station enough, or do you have to get somewhere from the train station?

Why do you have to start from Grand Central? The trains that go to New Jersey don't run from Grand Central, they run from Penn Station.

Edited: 11:51 am, February 10, 2010
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,218 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grand central to ridgewood nj

as I mentioned to you in the PM, I'm pretty sure you're going to have to take a bus - Port Authority, not Grand Central. You can take 2 subway lines to get to Port Authority from Grand Central - the 7 or the Shuttle.

Grand Central services Metro North - trains that go up the east side of the Hudson River to NYC suburbs and Connecticut.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: grand central to ridgewood nj

the fastest and easiest way to get the train station.

and i can get to penn station i just thought if there was something closer to grand?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,759 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: grand central to ridgewood nj

A New York yellow cab is unlikely to take you to Ridgewood, NJ: they're not required to leave the state except to go toe Newark, and to take you to Ridgewood you woudl need to negotiate the fare, it wouldn't be on teh meter. You can either arrange a car service, like Dial7, to take you, or you can take a train from Penn Station. There are no stations closer to Grand Central with trains to New Jersey. They will have to tell you the fare, you add a 20% tip to that fare, and ask them if the fare includes tolls.

You can use the www.njtransit.com website to see which particular train you will want to take to get from Penn Station to Ridgewood, but I believe you will have to change trains in Seacaucus. The train looks like it will take between half an hour and 45 minutes from when you board a train in Penn Station to when you arrive at Ridgewood, depending on how long the transfer takes at Seacaucus. The fare for the NJTransit trains is $7.50 each way.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,252 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grand central to ridgewood nj

You have a few options. #1. Train from New York to Secaucus than train from Secaucus to ridgewood. #3. Bus to ridgewood from NYC. The NJ Transit goes right into the aeart of town while the shortline only stops along 17.

www.njtransit.com

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28951-i77-k296347…

www.visitnj.org

6. Re: grand central to ridgewood nj

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 10, 2010