We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation experience of true new york

Johannesburg
5 posts
Save Topic
accommodation experience of true new york

Hi there,

i have been reading and looking for a while, gone from airbnb no no's to hotels back to b&b's and i am totally confused, please help.

from TA, i realise apartment 'rentals' are a no no,,so that rules out living like a local ,,,but how to get the true essence of NYC,,,i do put alot into the accomodation, that is where we will go to and come from day and night,,

we are a couple, will be coming from South Africa, for 8 nights, march 4 to 12 ,, budget bad, up to $130 per night.

i would love to experience the real character of NYC, a place where it is more real, and true to the character of NYC

Lorelei looks good, but maybe too far out of manhattan,,,East Village Bed and Coffee - booked out

harlem looks great too,,,hosting seems like an idea,,,totally stumped,,,and overwhelmed

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accommodation experience of true new york

There are a number of hotels here that have apartment style accomodations that will allow you to live here like a loal, Use the search box in the upper left part of the screen to search for "apartment style hotels" and then contact them. Hotels in more residential areas, like Greenwuch Village or the Upper West Side will also give you a neighborhood feel.

Johannesburg
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodation experience of true new york

thanks AlNYCm

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodation experience of true new york

The problem is your budget. $130/night is just not enough to get much of anything in Manhattan with a private bathroom. You can stay at a place like

chelsealodge.com

IF they have an opening where you get a room with shower & sink and share a toilet just outside the room. While no one has mentioned it on the forum in a while, the place was very popular for a long time. They also have some studio (all one room) suites that are much more money

chelsealodgesuites.com

Al is too honest to mention he runs a b & b/inn called Chelsea Pines that's very well regarded in a good location and he may have something for you.

Another popular b & b with shared bathroom facilites is East Village Bed & Coffee

greenwichvillagehome.com

is a basement apartment that's legal (I think) because the owner of the building lives in the building. Not sure what she's charging these days but worth a check.

But probably at your budget and at this date, your best option might be staying just outside Manhattan a train ride away. Country Inn & Suites in Long Island City has become very popular and is very good value. It's new, clean, good space and includes free continental breakfast. The downside is it's a bit of an industrial area (being slowly gentrified) and a stop away by subway from Manhattan.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: accommodation experience of true new york

Hello, March is usually a busy Month in NYC. I am sure people on this forum might be able to help with accommodations.

However, you might find it difficult to book at a B&B most are either already booked and/or more expensive or the same price as a hotel at THAT time of year.

But, if is one way to get the "feel" you are looking for; I recommend using bnbfinder.com they have strick requirements for B&B's and require "ALL" listings to serve breakfast.

you can also try;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c124978/New-Yo…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accommodation experience of true new york

It's a bit over your budget but the Affinia Gardens is an apartment hotel that's running a special here for $149/night plus tax that's good for your dates.

hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/743258

You get a studio apt. with a bit more space than a hotel room, a full kitchen (although not fully stocked) and it's a very good location part business but also residential. People do live in this area (it's upscale and near Bloomingdales but also near some of the big hospitals). Hotel taxes add 15% and they do charge for internet if that's important to y ou, but it's a great deal if you can swing it.

Johannesburg
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: accommodation experience of true new york

thanks already,,,

actually the shared bathroom is not an issue,,,it is cleanliness and a real sense of the place, the street, the area would be good. EVB&C looks very cool,,,is Lorelei B & B realistic in terms of travel in and out of manhattan many days,,,,

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: accommodation experience of true new york

>>is Lorelei B & B realistic in terms of travel in and out of manhattan many days>>

It's at least half an hour from there to Manhattan.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,649 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: accommodation experience of true new york

Isn't East Village Bed & Coffee sold out for your dates? Lorelei is in Ditmas Park, a residential neighborhood in Brooklyn. I'll leave it to other people more familiar with the area to offer comment.

I will say, however, that for an 8-night stay I think you would really appreciate having the convenience of a kitchen & more room than any value-priced B&B here will give you. Eastgate Tower -- a smallish, apartment hotel on a side street off Lexington Ave. near Grand Central Terminal -- is available for your dates and offers weekly rates for as low as $129/night, before taxes.

That kind of accommodation actually comes the closest to living like a real New Yorker -- the vast majority of us do not live in detached homes (like the Lorelei) or in picturesque, old brownstones :-)

Edited: 9:39 am, February 08, 2010
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: accommodation experience of true new york

Eastgate would be great too. Not as much of a neighborhood feel in that location as some of these others, but I agree great space and very good value at that price.

Johannesburg
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: accommodation experience of true new york

thanks again,,,

my entire NYC perception is through Annie Hall and the like,,,so you can imagine,,,,