We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central Park Reservoir - A question

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
426 posts
22 reviews
Central Park Reservoir - A question

Silly thing I'm sure, but the reservoir in Central Park. If you look at it on Google Maps it has a big line through the middle of it. I'm guessing this was when the water was at a lower level as I've not seen it elsewhere. Is it a pipe? Some sort of concrete covering for piping or a maintenance tunnel?

Just curious :)

Edited: 12:51 pm, February 05, 2010
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,288 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
554 Reviews
from $34.00*
New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: Central Park Reservoir - A question

A good question. You can check out one of the photos. It appears to be a divider type wall.

http://www.gothereguide.com/central+park+new+york-place/

The Central Park reservoir is no longer used for water supply in NYC.

Edited: 1:36 pm, February 05, 2010
Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Central Park Reservoir - A question

I've seen that too. It shows up in all the aerial photos, but it's not visible from the surface.

My theory is that it's a pipe that connects the two pump houses. The Res is water from lakes many miles north of the city. Pumphouses at spots along the line help to flow the water into Manhattan. The one at the "top" of aerial photos of the Res was the scene of the climax of the film Marathon Man, where the old Nazi was forced to eat the jewels.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Central Park Reservoir - A question

It's the top of the now-disused levee that runs between the north and south pumphouses. And yes, it's sometimes visible from ground level:

www.flickr.com/photos/thrushsong/2329593173/

www.flickr.com/photos/thrushsong/2330397537/

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,460 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Central Park Reservoir - A question

It's a great bird hangout when it is visible and I did some reading around and couldn't find anything more than has already been said.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,350 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: Central Park Reservoir - A question

ztaks - do you know where they put the ducks in the winter?

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
426 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Central Park Reservoir - A question

Thanks for all the answers :)

I'm looking forwards to seeing more of Central Park in March, only got as far up as the Lake by the Mall last time!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,460 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Central Park Reservoir - A question

I give great walking tours especially of the Northend and as Sara Cedar Miller said in the article - they are still here except the ones who use the place as a diner stop on the migratory flyway.

Speaking of Cedar-Miller, she did the MOST amazing 4 photos for the Conservancy holiday card. She did the exact same shot of the Lake and Ramble in each of the 4 seasons.

8. Re: Central Park Reservoir - A question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 05, 2010