We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi questions.........please don't laugh

florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
taxi questions.........please don't laugh

How exactly do you get a cab to stop when you need one? Do you just stand anywhere on the sidewalk and wave one down? How do you know if they are available?

Dumb questions I know but I have never had to use cabs so this will be a first. Maybe it would be easier to tell me what "not" to do.

thanks

Mandeville, LA
Level Contributor
466 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: taxi questions.........please don't laugh

Doorman can help you if leaving from hotel

If out and about- just put one foot on of the curb and into the street a bit, put your hand up as you see the cab coming...light off in middle means available....Hailing the cab was my 12 year old daughter's favorite part of our trip...She begged to do it and said she learned it from the movies!

Mandeville, LA
Level Contributor
466 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: taxi questions.........please don't laugh

Give cross streets when telling driver where you want to go.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: taxi questions.........please don't laugh

Ahh, once you get the hang of this, you'll learn how to hail a gypsy cab :)

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: taxi questions.........please don't laugh

Here's a website that explains the subways:

www.mta.info/metrocard/tourism/index.html

You can also use HopStop to find subway directions between two points:

http://www.hopstop.com

When taking a cab, don't forget to buckle your seatbelt.

Cabs take a maximum of 4 people (1 in front, 3 in back.)

If you think the driver is trying to ask you something, but not really talking to you or listening to you, that's because he's proabably talking to his friends on the phone with a hands-free head set.

15. Re: taxi questions.........please don't laugh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:01 am, November 07, 2005
Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: taxi questions.........please don't laugh

When going back to the airport it is best to use a car service.The price is not much different and you can name the time.We have always asked the hotel concierge who they reccomend and how much it costs.If the price is close to the advertised deals we go with the concierge reccomendation as we figure the car company doesnt want to upset a concierge.

It is however an experience to travel in a New York taxi.First I have not understood what the driver is saying-not one has spoken english.As has been said they are often speaking non stop on the phone.Be careful if you try and answer-you just never know what they are saying and what will be the response to your remark.

The biggest problem is that when you really need a taxi like when it is raining that is the time it is nearly impossible to get one.

florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: taxi questions.........please don't laugh

It is starting to sound like we might be ready for a car service when we leave instead of taking a cab!

What is a gypsy cab anyway?

Thanks "queensboulevard" for the subway info.

I guess this will all be part of the adventure. I bet it is amusing to some on this forum that do these things everyday and it is something that we are looking forward to trying out.