We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi questions.........please don't laugh

florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
taxi questions.........please don't laugh

How exactly do you get a cab to stop when you need one? Do you just stand anywhere on the sidewalk and wave one down? How do you know if they are available?

Dumb questions I know but I have never had to use cabs so this will be a first. Maybe it would be easier to tell me what "not" to do.

thanks

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi questions.........please don't laugh

Stand at the kerb and kind of stick your arm out seems to be the way to do it.

They have a For Hire sign on top which I believe is lit up if they are available.

Funny, I've hailed many a cab in NYC but I'm really having to think about what I do LOL

Getting a cab in NYC is a sport all to itself really!

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi questions.........please don't laugh

Stand a few feet into the street and raise your arm in the air toward the taxi. The taxi is not occupied if the center part of the sign on the roof is lit.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
313 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi questions.........please don't laugh

Hi daizy - no such thing as a silly question when it comes to first time things in NYC. On our first vacation in the Big Apple, my teenaged son was miffed with us because we were too intimidated to use a cab. This past summer he took this matter into his own hands (literally) and was hailing cabs for us all over the place. Watch for the ones with the lights on, step off the curb, raise your hand and yell taxi. Worked for him every time. One evening we had mistakenly taken an express train on our way to Stomp and by the time we turned ourselves around, etc. it was getting quite late. We just piled into the backseat of a taxi that was parked at the side of the street - no light on - and asked him to please get us to the theatre a.s.a.p. He looked somewhat bewildered but no problemo - off we went. You won't have any problems and you really must experience at least one NYC cab ride :) Have fun. Renish

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi questions.........please don't laugh

If your hotel doorman is willing to call a cab, that's good. If you're wandering about the city and need a cab, stand on a well traveled corner and wave a request for service. Other good options are buses and subways.

New York City
Level Contributor
604 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi questions.........please don't laugh

There is also Taxi Ettiquette -- which not everyone folles -- that if someone is already trying to hail a cab, you shouldn't attempt to get one ahead of that person by moving down the street in front of him/her. Either cross the street or move up a half block.

florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi questions.........please don't laugh

Thanks to everyone and I feel more at ease now that I have an idea of what is expected and how it works. I can't wait to visit in a few weeks and it certainly sounds like an experience.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi questions.........please don't laugh

"Taxi etiquette" ? Hmm...intersting....

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi questions.........please don't laugh

There are a million cabs in NYC,just make eye contact and they pullover sometimes.

newfoundland
Level Contributor
80 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi questions.........please don't laugh

no problem getting a cab in the busier parts to the city. But often found it easier to use subway to get were we wanted to go and get a cab back at the end of the day (especially when we had alot of shopping bags or our feet were sore). At airport there is a taxi line and someone gets the cab for you. Also we got a car service from the hotel back to LGA because cabs rarly went up the street our hotel was on, or they were off duty, and didn't feel like dragging our luggage to the main drag to hail a cab. The car service by the way cost excatly the same as the cab to the airport, but within town a cab is much cheaper.

florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: taxi questions.........please don't laugh

I wasn't familiar with the car service but from the postings I see that it can be almost the same for the trip back to the airport. We are meeting friends when we arrive who are on their second visit to NYC and they plan to show us how to use the subway before they leave so that will help. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.