We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to NY in Janueary

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Going to NY in Janueary

We're going to NY in January and I was looking some advice.

After reading reviews on this site we decided on the Casablanca as we wanted to be as near to most things as possible.

Ok so here go's there's so much to see and do that its a bit overwhelming to try start planning stuff to do. We want to do some touristy things but also want to do a bit of shopping too, Ellis Island, ESB, Statue of Liberty also, is it true that you cant get tickets when you get to the statue of Liberty do we have to buy them online before we go?

Where's the best places to shop, I want to get some pressies while we're there for birthdays etc.

Any advice is much appreciated, also if anyone can give any advice on places to eat, bars, clubs etc.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to NY in Janueary

Welcome to the NYC forum!

Take some time to click through this forum for answers and insights to all your questions. Also, use the search box at the top and enter words like "ESB", "Ellis Island", etc.

For basics about NYC, check these tourism sites:

www.newyorkled.com

www.nycvisit.com

www.nyc.gov (click on "visitors" in the blue bar)

www.cheapotravel.com/ny

www.theinsider.com/nyc/index.html

www.newyorkmetro.com/visitorsguide/index.htm

The subway and tourism:

www.mta.info/metrocard/tourism/index.html

How to ride the subway:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/subway/howto_sub.htm

Theatre tickets:

www.tdf.org

www.broadwaybox.com

For nightlife:

www.newyork.citysearch.com

www.thelmagazine.com (freee magazine, too.)

www.timeoutnewyork.com (hard copy magazine is better.)

Previous posts on shopping:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k267052-…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k206012-…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k300957-…

See this interactive map for shopping, etc. in Soho:

http://www.artseensoho.com/map.html

Have fun!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to NY in Janueary

Thanks for that lots there better get cracking!!

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
598 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to NY in Janueary

Pertaining to your question regarding Statue of Liberty....the tickets that are purchased online or at Castle Clinton (don't have to purchase online) are for the ferry that goes to Statue of Liberty, then to Ellis Island and back. There is no charge to get off at the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island but, if you want to go to the Promenade tour or Observation Deck tour of the Statue of Liberty, you need to book the time and which tour you are interested ahead of time due to limited space for the areas provided (there is no extra charge for this but, must be done in advance of departure on the ferry and given a ticket with the time and name of tour chosen). You can get off at either or both and there isn't any extra charge. Again, the price is for the ferry that goes to and from both places and can be ordered online or purchased at Castle Clinton. If you order them online, you pick them up at Castle Clinton...they don't mail them so there isn't any extra charges for shipping and you can use the tickets for any day up to a year I think, if you find the weather isn't good for going.