We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking the Broadway, from north to south...safe?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
160 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Walking the Broadway, from north to south...safe?

Hi there, I´m going o make a two days stop in NY before a convention-week in Orlando in a few weeks time.

One of my ideas is to walk the whole of Broadway, if the weather is suitable of course.

Just want to know if it´s safe and is it possible?

Any constructions going on etc...?

Planning to start around 9am at Sheridan Triangle.

Btw...searched this forum about a topic like this, but no success, plse feel free to redirect me.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking the Broadway, from north to south...safe?

Hi Max, Better check a map.

Sheridan Triangle is a park in the Bronx on Broadway, near Van Cortlandt Park.

If you want to walk to Battery Park, southern point of Manhattan, it would be about 12-16 miles, and take you the whole day, 6-10 hours, if you are up to it. Very safe, some very interesting areas to go thru.

FYI, Broadway also runs north, out of the City, so you should be sure of your location.

Edited: 6:13 am, December 31, 2009
Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking the Broadway, from north to south...safe?

Might I suggest starting at the southern end of Broadway (Battery Park)? That way if you "run out of steam" or daylight you will still probably be in Manhattan.

With only 2 days in NYC, any particular reason you are basically choosing to dedicate your visit to Broadway ?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking the Broadway, from north to south...safe?

Definitely agree with crankycook - I suggest starting at the Battery Park, southern end and working your way north. I've done the walk myself as far as Times Square, and think you get to see lots of different areas - it's a good thing to do.

Level Contributor
9,169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking the Broadway, from north to south...safe?

Yeah - It's winter here - I'd start from South to North and enjoy whatever you do see for as long as you want to walk.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking the Broadway, from north to south...safe?

This is very interesting. I too like to walk but I've never thought of this. Broadway as you get into Upper Manhattan is at least in part the Old Post Road (although there is absolutely no mention of this anywhere).

So, if you continue north on Broadway you can in theory pretty much keep going to the Canadian border however it becomes a rural highway as you continue north. It is essentially Route 9 (federally funded highway 9)

Now I really don't know when it was handed over to the City to become a city street or what and I don't really know if there are any signs for Route 9 until you are a ways north of New York City but I can tell you that you can pretty much keep walking through the Bronx - into Yonkers (Westchester County) and onwards.

This is probably a lot more information than you wanted. Say you start at Battery Park City and walk north from 1 Broadway you'll cross Wall Street, pass City Hall, up through SoHo, Union Square, Madison Square, Herald Square, Times Square, Columbus Circle, etc.

A little before 125th Street you'll find the 1 train emerges from its tunnel. The island is not very flat so as you walk downhill the subway is elevated and as you walk back up hill in the low 130's the subway goes back underground. You'll get your exercise. You'll always have the 1 train running right along with you from Times Square up. So, you can bag it at any time and get on the 1 train (it goes all the way up to 242nd Street and I kind of doubt you will want to keep going if you walk the entire length from Battery Park to 242nd Street. Should you continue to the Bronx / Westchester border, there are buses back down to the 242nd Street subway.

You'll pass through some fascinating neighborhoods in the 140's and 150's, neighborhoods undergoing major changes. The 120's are at war with neighboring Columbia University. The 140's and 150's were largely immigrant neighborhoods 20 years ago but are now gentrifying and as the residents become more prominent you are seeing signs of their increased affluence (restaurants / shops). The 160's will be hospital-land. The 170's take you into George Washington Bridge territory. The 180's and upwards are Washington Heights and into Inwood - lots of people moving up that way for affordable housing. You'll cross over a very interesting bridge into The Bronx in the low 200's - you'll have the option of jumping on a Metro-North commuter train back to Grand Central or continuing up in the direction of 242nd Street and Riverdale.

I've walked the Boston Post Road from the Dyre Avenue subway station in The Bronx to Greenwich Connecticut. That was fascinating. Quite often (weekends) I walk over the Brooklyn Bridge and keep going into Brooklyn until I either get too cold, too tired or have to get back for dinner plans.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Level Contributor
1,861 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking the Broadway, from north to south...safe?

Architectural historian Barry Lewis' "Walk Up Broadway" is perfect for you. I'm not sure they ship to Sweden, but perhaps you can find a copy on ebay or amazon.com.

Level Contributor
2,255 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking the Broadway, from north to south...safe?

As a major practitioner of the pedestrian arts myself, I like the idea of hiking Broadway, and I like the idea of north to south because it gets more varied and interesting with more places to stop as you get further on. However, I think you might want to start out in northern Manhattan or just across the river in the Bronx. The part of your walk in the Bronx won't be very interesting and I'm not familiar enough with the area to assure you that it would be safe. Perhaps someone else can give that information.

You could take the 1 train to 215th St. (its last stop in Manhattan) or Marble Hill (just across the river in the Bronx, but check to make sure that there's a walkway across the bridge) and walk south. The Cloisters and Fort Tryon Park are obvious and very good places to spend some time. The walk south from there is pretty residential for quite a distance with pretty steady neighborhood and ethnic transitions. In the 130s, you pass by City College and Columbia is about a mile further south. After Columbia, you're on the Upper West Side (but you've already walked about five miles in Manhattan, so how upper is it really?) and you could detour a couple of blocks east to check out St. John the Divine (or the Unfinished) at 110th St. on the northwest edge of Central Park. You could walk south through the park, which is nice, but Broadway in the Upper West Side is pretty lively and a nice alternative (there are also benches along Broadway for rest stops). After this, you're on the well-known parts of Broadway all of the way down to Battery Park if you choose to go that far.

This is a good idea (and it's the sort of thing I do when visiting cities). I assume that you're up to whatever the weather may throw at you and will make the necessary adjustments. Go for it.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking the Broadway, from north to south...safe?

<<You'll cross over a very interesting bridge into The Bronx in the low 200's>>

<< or Marble Hill (just across the river in the Bronx,>>

As a matter of fact, when one walks north on Broadway one does not cross a bridge into the Bronx, because Marble Hill -- which is the neighborhood on the north side of the bridge -- is not in the Bronx, but is instead in the Borough of Manhattan.

The original location of the Kingsbridge, which crossed the head of the Harlem River, was between what are now 228th and 230th Streets. The Harlem River ran up and around Marble Hill, while Marble Hill itself was a fully-attached part of Manhattan Island. In 1895, in order to make navigation around Manhattan easier, the Harlem River Ship Canal was cut between the Harlem River and Spuyten Duyvil Creek, rendering Marble Hill an island, but leaving it as part of New York County, and later as part of the Borough of Manhattan. In 1914, the old route of the Harlem River was filled in, attaching Marble Hill by land to the Bronx, but the old boundary has not changed, and Marble Hill remains part of the Borough of Manhattan.

It is interesting to note that during the digging of the Harlem River Ship Canal a mastodon tusk was unearthed; it is now in the collection of the American Museum of Natural History.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking the Broadway, from north to south...safe?

Broadway is interesting but not from the Triangle. To save some energy to the conference, I recommend starting from Columbus Circle heading to Battery Park. This way, you will pass through Times Square and you will see many interesting stores and dept. stores in your way.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,083 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking the Broadway, from north to south...safe?

I get the idea that the OP is interested in more than just seeing stores - more exploring different neighborhoods along the long road that is Broadway - and, the different architecture and cultural influences of the neighborhoods - I think it is a grand idea - one that will take quite a lot of time and effort but probably will be well worth the effort and very satisfying if you do as you have planned.

Have fun and if you do it, please do come back and let us know what interesting finds you come across on the way.