We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upper west side to JFK

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Upper west side to JFK

One day to go and almost ready. Just planning the journey back to JFK at the end of the trip. We are staying in the Excelsior on W81st and I was planning to take the A train to Howard Beach and the the airtrain to JFK but we will have to leave about 5.30pm and if I have read the subway timetables correctly the A train does not stop at 81st at that time. I could take a local and transfer at 42nd but I don't know if it would be much fun battling thru Friday evening commuters with heavy cases. My instinct is to book a car. Possibly Telaviv again since they are meeting us on Sunday when we arrive.

Is this the best solution or do the experts have any other suggestions.

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upper west side to JFK

I don't know whether the train stops at 81 st but taking the A train from the UWS to JFK is taking the slow boat to China ;) If you want to try the train, get down to Penn Station (I'd take a cab) at 34 & 7th and take the LIRR to the AirTrain at Sutphin Blvd. The LIRR/AirTrain costs about $12/person. I think the idea of a train on Fri. night is rush hour is a good one. I just wouldn't personally want to be taking luggage in the rush hour subway.

Have a great trip. I'm hoping the rain's gonna stop sooooon.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upper west side to JFK

I took the LIRR from Penn Station to Jamaica and the Airtrain to JFK last month, and it worked great. I would agree that it's best to take a cab to Penn Station because even when the subways aren't crowded, it's no treat with luggage (okay, I always overpack), but the trip on LIRR/AirTrain is amazingly fast and efficient - less than 1/2 hour from Penn to Jamaica, and about 10 minutes from there to Terminal 6 (I think the last terminal on the route) It is $7 peak, $5 non-peak for LIRR, and $5 for AirTrain, and it's worth every penny. I didn't know it would be so efficient so I left NY about 2 hours too early and had a lot of time at JFK. So much better than previously when I took cabs or shuttles and ended up stuck in traffic with both.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upper west side to JFK

Thanks for the suggestions. Penn station seems a lot more sensible.