We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel options NY-DC (other than Greyhound and Amtrak)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Travel options NY-DC (other than Greyhound and Amtrak)

Hi

Is anyone able to tell me reliable, safe options for travel between NYC and Washington?

I know there are a number of other bus companies - can anyone tell me which are safe/reliable?

(Amtrak seems to be a bit expensive). Is there another train?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
United States
New York City
Level Contributor
774 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel options NY-DC (other than Greyhound and Amtrak)

First, the train. Amtrak is the only train that runs. They have different prices for different types of train, but if you found their cheapest price and it was still out of your budget, that's pretty much it.

For buses from NYC to DC, there are buses that run from Chinatown in NYC to DC (I'm not sure of the drop off point in DC). These are relatively safe and reliable, but not completely, I think. I've taken this bus (different company names, one is Fung Wah, but I don't know all of them) to Philadelphia and Boston. The drivers aren't so great, and many have limited English skills. In addition, on my way back from Philadelphia they oversold the bus and people were standing on the sidewalk, beating their hands against the side of the bus. I know that's just one experience, but it makes you wonder.

Are there other people travelling with you? If you have a place to park when you get to DC (e.g., visiting a friend) perhaps it would be cheaper to rent a car.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
New York
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel options NY-DC (other than Greyhound and Amtrak)

All the info you want is here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k117500-…