We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italian Meal before the Marathon

Hucknall, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Italian Meal before the Marathon

We shall have our first trip to NY in November. My husband is running in the Marathon. On the Saturday evening November 5th, we shall need to find a Pasta Meal. Can anyone recommend a good restaurant. We are staying at the Warwick hotel on 65 West 54th Street. Can anyone recommend an easy day's sightseeing on the Monday? Not too much walking!!! There are 8 of us. Very grateful for any help.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
458 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italian Meal before the Marathon

You don't mention budget, but if a pricey meal is O.K., I recommend Vago, between 5th and 6th Aves. on W. 56th St. Excellent Italian food, including pasta dishes.

I've never actually been, but a more moderately-priced place that gets good reviews on menupages.com is Pasta D'Oro, on 7th Avenue, between W. 54th and W. 55th. Sts.

For easy day's sightseeing with not much walking, you might want to look into the hop-on/hop-off bus tours.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italian Meal before the Marathon

Pasta D'oro averages $15 for a bowl of pasta. A place I like i Fresh Basil on LExinbotn Avenue between 55-56th streets. I think a penne with shrimp in pink sauce is abot $10.25. You can get a half chicken with veggies and a side of pasta or potatoes for about $12.

But this might be too much of walk as it is across town to the east. Its just a suggestion.

Good luck to your husband. THere's nothing like being at the marathon in Central Park. YOu just need to find yourself a good place to watch. I prefer the East Side of Central Park, around 7nd Street. Just make sure you go to the WC before you go. Your selection of toilets in the park is limited. THere is a rather grungy WC near the boat basin on the east side. But when you have to you have to.....

Of course, you could stay at the hotel and watch it on TV, then meet him at a predesignated place.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italian Meal before the Marathon

Hi

I also like 'Osteria al Doge' on 44th bet B'way & 6th Ave...very good pastas, not too expensive (just down the street from Virgil's BBQ).

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Italian Meal before the Marathon

This may or may not interest you, but I believe the Marathon organizers (NY Road Runners) sponsor a big pasta feed the night before, at a place like the NY Hilton (which is near your hotel). However, I don't know how many non-running guests may accompany each runner. Your husband's registration materials ought to mention this dinner.

Good luck to your husband and I hope you all have an enjoyable stay!

Hucknall, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italian Meal before the Marathon

Thank you all for the recommendations. We shall stay nearer the hotel for the Saturday evening meal.

Is it possible to move around from one viewing place of the race and then on into Central Park? We may need to pass on a sports drink at the half way stage. Or should we just go for one spot and stay there for the whole race? And then meet up outside the Park.

If anyone has been there before, some advice would be appreciated.

Western Mass
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Italian Meal before the Marathon

I'm running there for the 2nd time this year.

I think the best place to hand anything to a runner is 1st Av around mile 17 (75th street I think). You can try earlier but the crowds in the 60s (4-5 deep) will make it hard to connect. Make sure you have a very precise rendezvous and recognizable clothing or you'll miss each other. It's very crowded.

From there you can walk to 5th Av/Central park to catch your runner a 2nd time before the finish (~mile 24-25).

Good luck

NY
Level Contributor
209 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italian Meal before the Marathon

The NYRR club's pasta dinner is lots of fun.

I attended in my Marathon days. It's great to mingle with the other runners- good friends, good food, running advice etc.

Good luck. Hope you have nice weather for your long run.

Hucknall, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italian Meal before the Marathon

Thank you both for your help. We shall do as you say. Being Brits we are coming prepared to be noticed!! St George Flags etc.!

Good luck to tcarrier. This is my husbands 3rd marathon. He ran London first last year, and Paris in the Spring earlier this year, and is really looking forward to New York. I don't mnow where you find the strength to run that far.

NY
Level Contributor
209 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Italian Meal before the Marathon

It's not that far. Only 26 miles...

I finished 4 NYC marathons (back in my "yout") I also once "followed" my husband, a cardiac patient, when he ran it because I was afraid that he'd have a heart attack and die. He didn't know I was behind him until the chutes at the end. To my HORROR (and to that of the chute workers) he reached into his pocket as he crossed the finish line (at 4 hours 50 mins) and pulled out a CIGARETTE!!

Even though I followed him for 26 miles, I never counted that marathon as one of my runs-- because I was concerned with cardiac man. But-- after seeing that cigarette-- forget about me ever running after him for 26 miles again!! Let EMS call me when he has the big one!! <G>