We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staten Island Ferry - weekday parking

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
270 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Staten Island Ferry - weekday parking

I appologize in advance if I missed this somewhere on the forum as I did search for this. We are doing a day trip into the city and are driving to Staten Island and taking the ferry in - my question is with many people commuting during the week will I be able to find parking at any of the lots close to the ferry or should I look at another option to get into the city.

Thanks for all your help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staten Island Ferry - weekday parking

Depends on when you're coming -- if before Labor Day, you should have no problem getting into a lot as many locals who commute into Manhattan are on vcation. After Labor Day will be much more iffy.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,033 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staten Island Ferry - weekday parking

Many people have the idea that parking at the SOL ferry is a good idea for a day trip. It's usually not. If you put the words parking at staten island ferry in the search box just above, you'll find quite a few previous threads including this one

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1370852…

It would help to know where you're coming from and where you intend going in Manhattan to give best advice.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
270 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staten Island Ferry - weekday parking

NYWHIZ,

We are coming from Lancaster PA. We usually drive to Trenton and take the NJ TRansit in but we were looking at different options since we are coming with a family who has never been in the city.

Thanks for your help!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staten Island Ferry - weekday parking

If it is only one day why not drive right into the city. The problem with your plan is that if the lot is full when you get there for what ever reason what is your backup plan... At least if you drive into the city there will be lots of choices.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staten Island Ferry - weekday parking

Better yet if you are driving onto Staten Island come all the way across the island to the Verazano Bridge and follow the signs to 278- Manhattan--- this will take you by Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn- take a right on Atlantic and then a left on Clinton Street. You will be in Brooklyn Heights and you will find on street parking. Be mindful of the signs but as long as the parking is not restricted somewhere in that neighborhood you will find a spot. Park there and make your way to Borough Hall where you can take a subway to Manhattan for 5-10 minutes and you have paid nothing to park and are good for the whole day.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staten Island Ferry - weekday parking

Don't know what your first target Manhattan destination is, but if it's in lower Manhattan, you might take the Holland Tunnel (NJ Turnpike exit 14C or I-78 East) from New Jersey rather than the Lincoln Tunnel. As the driver you won't be able to fully appreciate the rather dramatic view of the Manhattan skyline from the Newark Bay Bridge, but everyone else can :-)

FYI, the drive from the Staten Island "landing" of the Goethals Bridge to the ferry terminal area will take 15-20 minutes, possibly longer depending on traffic/road conditions. Tolls for the Goethals Bridge & the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels are all the same: $8 cash or $6 with your PA EZ pass during off-peak hours:

panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/…tolls.html

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staten Island Ferry - weekday parking

The drive from the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge (outward-bound toll: a whopping $11 cash, $9.14 w/EZ Pass) through Brooklyn to Atlantic Ave. can be an aggravating PIA. Combine that with the time it typically takes to travel from NJ through Staten Island and I don't see any big advantage to coming that way; you'd be better off imo proceeding directly into Manhattan from NJ.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,033 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staten Island Ferry - weekday parking

If you don't want to drive into Manhattan which is probably most convenient, rather than Staten Island which really takes you out of your way, I'd consider:

>Jersey City where there are several PATH train stations AND a ferry and lots of parking options. If you click on the different stops they will take you to parking info

http://www.panynj.gov/path/schedule.html

>Weehawken,NJ terminal of Port Imperial ferry

nywaterway.com

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staten Island Ferry - weekday parking

I've taken the ferry in a couple times and never had a problem with parking.

The Ferry's a nice way to arrive esp. for people that haven't ridden it before.

The main problem I've had is if you miss the ferry by 1 minute you're waiting another half hour (typically) for the next one.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staten Island Ferry - weekday parking

mdboy- where do you park and what does it cost.