We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tax Refund in NYC?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Tax Refund in NYC?

Hi everyone.

I would like to aks a some what silly question... I live in Europe and I know that when US citizens (or other countries out of the EU) can get something called VAT tax refund (which is the tax applied to every single purchase... For example, in Portugal is 20% so if something cost €120, you can get a refund of €20). My question is... Does this also apply to EU citizens travelling to the US (in this case NYC)?

Thank you in advance

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tax Refund in NYC?

Nope. There is no VAT in the USA - the taxes are controlled by every individual city and state, and they vary from city to city. Louisiana is the only state that does tourist refunds, though some places (like Oregon) have no sales tax at all, for anyone!

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tax Refund in NYC?

But i do think some stores like Macy's (as I have learned here on TA) will refund your tax if you sign up with them before you shop...perhaps there is a NYC expert who knows better how this works, then I do. or even if you do a search for tax refund here it might come up...

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
224 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tax Refund in NYC?

Macys offer an out of towners discount card, which is 11% off, you just need to pop along to the customer service department on floor 1.5 and show some national i.d.

However the 11% is not off everything, ie certain consessions think ralph lauren etc dont do the 11%.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tax Refund in NYC?

VAT refund- NO VAT here so no refund

Sales tax refund - NO,

Macy's and Bloomingdalse discount - Limited (ie some items excluded) I have heard they are making it 10%, anybody know? Lord and Taylor has the same thing (again someone correct this if they have stopped this - new owners)

Clothing - NYC only - NO TAX on items that cost under $110. That's per item, so two (or two hundred) $100 shirts=no tax, one $115 shirt=tax.

Sales tax here is a local thing, so the amounts differ from location to location (city, county, and state - if any of those change the tax law might be different)

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tax Refund in NYC?

Thank you all very much for your aswers ;) It has helped me a lot.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tax Refund in NYC?

Not that it is relevent to NY but North Dakota offers refunds for tourists - not that I have ever applied for it and I travel there frequently (it's close to home). I just factor it in as a cost associated with my vacation.

WpgBanker

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tax Refund in NYC?

When we visited in late June, Macy's were only giving 10% discount to visitors.

8. Re: Tax Refund in NYC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 16, 2010