We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report: fabulous!!

Windsor, Ontario...
Level Contributor
396 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip report: fabulous!!

~Arrived on the 29th around 6pm. Stayed at The Belvedere. Walked the 3 blocks to Times Square and just stood around, completely amazed at the people, the cars, the horns, the skyscrapers, and the lights. It's nice to see the things that I've only seen on TV.

~Walked down Broadway to the ESB. No lines at all that time of night. Very windy and chilly up at the top, but it was still quite beautiful.

~Metropolitan Museum of Art.....great place! And the tip that I learned from here was correct....the $15 admission price is only "suggested". The cashier didn't blink when I only put out a $10. (But before anyone starts in on me being cheap, I dropped more than enough cash on the books, postcards, and other souveniers from the gift shop. ) Started with the "highlight tour" but became bored after 15 minutes of hearing about the "folds in the sculptures dress", so we wandered around on our own before finding the Monets. My favorites.

~Fifth Ave.: Trump Plaza (young, rude service girls in the cafeteria....it was weirdly enjoyable to be openly rude right back to them! ~grin~) Tiffany's.....~sigh~.....I love my little blue bag. St. Patrick's Cathedral.....too impressive and beautiful to be missed.

~World Trade Center: I knew it would be moving, but I wasn't prepared for the pictures drawn by the children of the men and women who died. Broke my heart. I had an overwhelming need to phone my parents and tell them that I love them. And I believe this location is the quietest in all of Manhatten. Very respectful and serene, marred only by the people who are trying to sell pictures to make a profit. DON'T BUY ANYTHING!!!

~Canal street: Interesting and entertaining.....but I reached my limit after 2 hours of seeing the same stuff in every store. I found some nice leather bags (non-designer) and some cool knock-off sunglasses. My friend bought a couple of fake-rolexes, and I have a dinner bet that they won't be working within 3 months.

~Subway system: Functional, fairly user friendly, but a little grungy. It could use a really good power washing. And steamy hot in some places. I can't imagine how hot it gets in July and August!! And I still don't know what was the stuff leaking from the surface (above the tracks) but we just referred to it as Eco-plasm. I also saw my only NYC cockroach (sucker was huge!!) on the stairs....probably heading towards Macy's.

~ Central Park: really beautiful. Strawberry Fields was lovely....even met "the artist" (his words, not mine) who decorates the mural with flowers everyday. He pointed out the Dakota and "John's" apartment, not Yoko's. Ok. We just thanked him and moved away quickly!! ~grin~

~ Overall: I loved it!!! 2-1/2 days is not nearly enough to see everything that I wanted to, and next time I think I would stay away from Times Square (been there, done that) and discover Greenwich Village and Soho. We are planning on making this a yearly trip.....and I think October will be the month of choice. Great weather.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report: fabulous!!

Sounds great, and yes, you only scratched the surface, so you will have to come back!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report: fabulous!!

Congrats on a great trip and on paying a "suggested donation" at the Met!! Would we lie to you? ;o)

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report: fabulous!!

Great report! The schlock merchants at the WTC really make me angry! Good for you for paying less than the suggested admission price at the Met. When we were there last week I tried to convince my husband to do just that but he caved and paid the suggested price! It's true---the subway system is grungy but when you consider it's been around for about 100 years...! Some stations do seem cleaner than others though.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report: fabulous!!

Sounds like you had a great time, even taking the rude service and "local wildlife" in stride. I think it's a great idea to stay in different neighborhoods, you'll really get the flavor of the city that way.