We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Quarters Guest Apartments

Clare Valley...
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
French Quarters Guest Apartments

anyone know anything about these - anyone stayed here?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French Quarters Guest Apartments

Reviews here (note they are all from 1st time posters, so not sure how genuine they are):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1415127…

It may be operating as an illegal hotel, though, so I would be very careful.

2. Re: French Quarters Guest Apartments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:13 pm, July 21, 2009
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: French Quarters Guest Apartments

Few people have stayed there since they've just recently started accepting guests: web site says "Grand Opening" special rates until the end of July.

Please note that the City's Department of Buildings web site indicates that the building's owner has been slapped in the past couple of years with thousands of dollars in fines for construction work undertaken without the proper permits, improper plumbing and hazardous excavation. Although those fines have been paid, there is no indication that the work done has been approved. Moreover, there appears to be no city-issued Certificate of Occupancy on file authorizing its use as a hotel.

I'd give it a pass. And not just because I wouldn't want to stay right above a restaurant.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: French Quarters Guest Apartments

It's an illegal hotel at 346 West 46th Street.

Clare Valley...
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: French Quarters Guest Apartments

I;m always facinated when a post is removed - wish I knew what it said!

French Quarters is offered through New-York-Bookings.com I have already made a booking for another hotel through them and now I'm worried that maybe that booking doesn't "hold" - but it wa refundable, payment at the hotel etc - so maybe they just got it wrong with taking on French Quarters?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: French Quarters Guest Apartments

>> so maybe they just got it wrong with taking on French Quarters <<

They - like TA - do not vet the legitimacy of hotels / apartments etc. It doesn't mean your booking or the agency is not valid, however, like any booking made through a third party should be verified.

Contact the hotel you are staying at directly to confirm your reservation.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: French Quarters Guest Apartments

CockleCove is right that there is not final Certificate of Occupancy allowing the FULL use of the building as a hotel.

However, on the floors 001 and 002 there are currently SIX (6) CLASS "B" ROOMS.

In assuming the NYC law it is LEGAL for French Quarters to rent these floor/rooms as hotels/transient:

Multiple Dwelling Law § 4 (9) defines a “class B” multiple dwelling as a multiple dwelling which is occupied, “transiently as the more or less temporary abode of individuals or families who are lodged with or without meals.” Class B multiple dwellings include transient hotels, lodging houses, rooming houses and college and school dormitories

The set up of the building is awkard so I do not know if the restaurant is a issue in terms of noise or if the layout is a problem for guests.

The Basement is the restaurant then above that you have the 001 floor (Class B rooms) then above that the Mezz. which is a part of the restaurant and then above that the class B rooms again.

The layout could be nice, the rooms could be very nice. But, the only way to know is to actually see it.

Keep in mind that Certificate of Occupancy number is posted on the DOB website, but it does not link to an acutally Certificate of Occupancy.

From my experience, they usually issue a Certificate of Occupancy number if one is availabe or temporary available. Sometimes the DOB just does not post the new or temp Certificate of Occupancy. It is not un-natural for them to do this.

My guess is that it is legal. But, would opt to stay there if I had more information on the place.

Level Contributor
6 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: French Quarters Guest Apartments

I booked this place (but can always cancel as it is a few months until I travel), mainly because of the reviews on Tripadvisor. I have spent the day trying to establish which hotels in New York are illegal!! I've been on congressmen and congresswomen's websites, tenants groups, Fodor's article about how to spot one, the BIS site. I couldn't find any code 71, 45, or 31 complaints against this place and I found the certificate of occupancy. I also read the working group's report on the effects of illegal hotels, but nobody seems to have published a list of them!! Some well known names also seem to be illegal so it is very difficult to know what to book. I don't want to cancel yet as if it IS a legitimate hotel that has just started up it would be very unfair as I realize that the tourist industry everywhere is going through hard times. I've never been to New York before but it seem like a lot of hard work, especially since I don't have a law degree! Does the New York Tourist Board (or whatever it is called) have a list of LEGAL hotels somewhere?

Level Contributor
6 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: French Quarters Guest Apartments

In the end, we stayed here in early November. Enjoyed the trip and would stay again. It is well described in the Tripadvisor reviews. Noise seems to depend where your room is, ours was fine. Some posters didn't like the breakfasts but there was definitely enough for us...Juice, cereal, bread / toast / pastries, coffee and Barry's tea!! Staff were helpful and friendly.

10. Re: French Quarters Guest Apartments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, June 05, 2010