We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel near penn station

England
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
hotel near penn station

Hi

We are taking the train from Boston, MA to Penn station in NYC and spending 2 days and nights there before flying home to the UK.

We want to see all the major sights etc. Should we get a hotel near Penn station or is there a better area to stay in?

Thanks

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: hotel near penn station

Cockle cove is one of our best hotel experts-- you need to review the postings on illegal and scam hotel operations in this city. she has given you a recommendation you very well may want to consider. The likelyhood is that anything you find on your own that looks like a great deal is going to cause you some problems.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: hotel near penn station

Since the St. James does not have any rooms with 3 separate mattresses [e.g., 2 beds + sleep sofa], I'm assuming, Moggy, that you're fine with a room that sleeps 3 people in 2 beds.

It's tough to figure out, from the NYC Dep't of Buildings' web site, what the story is with the St. James. There's a check in the SRO box but the only government-issued Certificate of Occupancy that comes up for view doesn't seem to square with the SRO designation, and none of the paperwork of the many violations against the owners/building I skimmed through seem to involve an illegal hotel operation. So let's assume that they're not violating the law in that regard.

BUT, there are many more cited violations (and fines yet to be paid) for poor maintenance, failure to make structural repairs, heat/water boiler problems [reflected repeatedly throughout TA reviews], etc. than is typical. Based on the TA traveler photos, it's not one of the places I would describe as "cheap and cheerful", and I'm concerned about security: e.g., there's no place in the room to lock valuables; you're expected to turn in the old-fashioned brass room key to the front desk every time you go out, and people have commented they don't ask for ID when you ask for the key upon returning to the hotel.

Here's my recommendation: book a room with 2 queen beds [equivalent to UK king mattresses] at the Best Western Seaport Inn for $189/night on Quikbook.com.

http://www.quikbook.com

That rate includes breakfast & is reservation that requires no deposit/advance payment and can be canceled, upon reasonable notice, without financial penalty. That ensures you have a nicer place to stay than the St. James, but still gives you the flexibility to cancel and book another place should a better deal arise between now and then. Keep an eye on Quikbook and sign up for e-mail alerts on "last minute" deal from TravelZoo and Hotwire's Travel Ticker [sign-up box on bottom of home page]:

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/

http://www.travel-ticker.com

The Best Western Seaport is tucked by the Brooklyn Bridge and the neighboring streets/buildings are among the oldest in Manhattan, so have some charm & historic interest. There's a TKTS [1/2 price theatre tickets] booth in the Seaport; you can walk from there to popular tourist destinations such as Ground Zero, Century 21 for discount shopping, the Staten Island Ferry Terminal, docks for harbor cruises and the boats that deposit you on Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty's island. Walking in another direction takes you into Chinatown or hop on the M15 bus to get there and further uptown, e.g., the Lower East Side, the East Village. And the nonprofit Downtown Alliance offers free shuttle service around the territory between the Seaport and the southern edge of Tribeca.

www.downtownny.com/gettingaround/?sid=19

Additionally, multiple subway lines stop at the nearby Fulton/Nassau Streets stations, so you can get practically anywhere with no transfer required en route. Including Penn Station (4 stops away on the 7th Ave. express line), Times Square (5 stops), and Grand Central Terminal (3 stops on Lexington Ave. express line).

The Seaport wouldn't be ideal in the depths of winter, but October should be pleasant and the rooms at the Best Western are larger than many NYC hotels.

If you're intent, however, on staying near Times Square, there is currently 1 room -- with 2 double beds (smaller than queen) -- left on Hotels.com for the special "I Love New York" rate of $199/night for 2 people and before taxes. For 3-person occupancy, the grand total with taxes is $506. Caution: that special rate requires full payment now and if you cancel, you lose all your money.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93569-R…

England
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: hotel near penn station

Hi thanks for all of the info.

I am confused about the Hotel St James though. Online it shows I would be able to book this room for $199:

2 Full Beds

Maximum Occupancy:4

2 double beds. Satellite TV. Premium TV channels. Direct-dial phone. Wake-up calls.

Is that the same hotel you are talking about? Mine is called the Hotel St James not the St James Hotel, if there is a difference.

We want to visit the statue of liberty and ellis island, empire state building, ground zero, central park, times square and the top of the rock i suppose. Are all of those sites spread across the whole city or are they closer to one area more so than the others? Murray Hill is one block from empire state building but I dont want to support an illegal operation so that one is out.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: hotel near penn station

You can read the reviews of the St. James here:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d290978-…

If it's legal, it's still a dump. I agree with CC; nothing cheap or cheerful about the place.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: hotel near penn station

(and I see CockleCove had already given you the link to TA reviews.) :)

England
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: hotel near penn station

Hiya

That one isn't illegal. It's just cheap. But again, I just want clean and in a nice location. Not looking to spend any real time there.

Cockle I read all the reviews on the Seaport - thanks for that one. Just not sure as its 20 minutes on the subway from Times Square or the places we might be in the evening and then an 8 minute walk from the subway to the hotel. Although its close to ground zero and the ferry, those are things we would do in the daytime. So it would be better for us to stay more central so that we would go to that end of things in the morning and make our way back towards where we are staying at night. Although the reviews of the rooms with the terrace overlooking the bridge at night do sound lovely!

My head is spinning from all the reviews. Need more coffee!! :)

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: hotel near penn station

If you can up your budget a bit, you can check the quikbook price for the Wellington for that time. They have a dbl/dbl for $232.00 (exclusive of taxes and fees) for your dates. It's a mid-town location:

http://www.quikbook.com/avail_search_mix.asp

18. Re: hotel near penn station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:25 pm, July 19, 2009
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: hotel near penn station

Yikes, I failed to include the name in the concluding paragraph of my previous post, but it's the *Belvedere* that I intended to be my final suggestion & the Belvedere's reviews are what's in the last link. That's a Times Square/Theatre District hotel which would be a much better alternative to the St. James and scarcely more expensive.

Although I think that's a very good price for a 2-bedded room in a better-than-basic hotel in October, that Belvedere reservation via hotels.com is non-refundable. If you're more of a gambler than I would be re: an October stay, you might prefer a reservation elsewhere that you can cancel should a better deal arise between now and then.

England
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: hotel near penn station

Thanks!

Maybe the seaport would be ok after all. Since everyone seems to say you need to get the statue of liberty cruise early in the morning, and we'd be right there near the ferry. Plus the cobbled streets around there sound nice.

Is the best western seaport really as far away from everything as it seems on the maps?

And any idea how much it might cost from there to JFK?