We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do the locals hang out???

Virginia
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where do the locals hang out???

We are planning a trip to New York the week after 4th of July. I don't like crowds and touristy places. We will be downtown and in SoHo. Where are some good quiet corner bistros, coffee and bagel shops, any thrift stores or flea markets, good blues bars... off the beaten path??? Thanks for your input. Linda

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do the locals hang out???

Soho is a great place to stay if you don't like the hustle and bustle of Times Square. While it certainly does have it's share of both tourists and crowds, it is still a neighborhood where we do live, eat and work.

I would also suggest leaving Manhattan and exploring some of Brooklyn's neighborhoods. While we are starting to get tourists, BK is still fairly quiet. Head to Park Slope or Fort Greene. There is a great flea market under the Brooklyn Bridge on Sundays at 11.

Walk around SOHO or any real neighborhood and you will find your hidden gems. Smaller shops that are frequented by the locals. Lastly, here's a great site to keep you advised of what's happening in the Blues/Jazz scene in NYC:

http://www.nybluesandjazz.org/

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do the locals hang out???

I would add to Mel's list by saying Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill or Carroll Gardens. You could start out on Montague street where there are many restaurants but then move further into the neighborhood to find smaller places that would definitely be local hang outs. One that comes to mind is Cafe on Clinton on Clinton and Congress in Cobble Hill.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do the locals hang out???

I'm not sure locals are going to give up the locations of their favorite haunts - then they would be inundated by tourists.

The Village certainly has it's share of small cafes, restaurants, pubs etc....and it would be very easy to find a place with just locals.

Also, anywhere away from TS, ie. Chelsea, Hell's Kitchen, UWS would have less tourist traffic.

Good luck on your quest.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do the locals hang out???

You may also like to wander through Morningside Heights (say from St John the Divine down through the UWS), Murray Hill (2nd and 3rd Ave, from 50th down to 25th) and Tribeca. More neighbourhood like.

New York City
Level Contributor
102 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do the locals hang out???

Its a little hard to pinpoint the areas where we hangout. There are so many places to go to and to choose from. But you'll definitely will not see us in Times Square, unless we have guests from out of town that we're accompanying. Which I have done many many times. You have best chances of hanging out with the locals if you go to residential areas away from Times Square. The upper east and west, Brooklyn, Queens, lower east side and the 2 villages downtown. You can go to Cleopatra's Needle on the upper westside for some jazz. Or Brandy's piano bar on the upper east for live music. Both are pretty cheap. Another choice is Jazz standard in Gramercy area.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do the locals hang out???

For most locals, they hang out in their neighborhood where they live (which is of course not Times Square). In fact, most tourists places are not where locals live and vice versa.

Sometimes people hang out (during the week) at a place near their jobs.

Or they "hang out" in a club which is actually later (midnight and more).

I guess this is true all over the world.

In NY some coffee places (not Star$) may work for you. BTW coffee "shops" usually refer to diners (food, including full meals). Cafe, or maybe what I said (coffee place) may be the words you want.

…timeout.com/articles/eat-out-awards/73158/e…

coffeegeek.com/opinions/…03-28-2008

gimmecoffee.com/features/community/cafelife/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do the locals hang out???

Try Opia on 57th & Park. Downtown, have lunch at Suspenders if you want to see the Wall Str bankers wolfing down pasta with a 2-martini lunch.

8. Re: Where do the locals hang out???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 31, 2009