We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kind of lost - City Layout and Hotel Locations

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Topic
Kind of lost - City Layout and Hotel Locations

Hello,

First of all thanks to all of you who have written so much of useful information on this forum. You guys are active and dedicated.

We will be traveling to the NYC in the 2nd week of AUG. Air tickets are done. We am having some trouble in reserving a hotel.

Which Area? - For instance, priceline lists these areas:

Brooklyn

Central Park South

Chelsea Area

Downtown - SoHo - Financial District

Empire State Building Area

Long Island City

Madison Square Garden - Convention Area

Midtown East

Midtown West

Times Square - Theatre District

Upper East Side

Upper West Side

Although, I can figure out their relative location from the provided map, how do I know which area is good in terms of safety (while walking in dark from subway stn to the hotel), Vicinity to attractions, Accessibilty for EWR, etc.

Are all of the above are called Manhattan Location?

We plan to use buy 7 day metro card and would like to use that most of the transportation.

Attraction - Plan is to go to the Rock, ESB, Liberty, Cirle Ferry, Madame Tussauds, Guggenheim, Central Park, Grand Central, Macy's, Bloomingdale and some other museums.

I might have some other questions on what to fit in each day. But, that will be another post.

Thanks and sorry for amy misspelling. I didn't really cross check.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kind of lost - City Layout and Hotel Locations

New York City is made up of five separate counties of New York State. These counties vary greatly in size. Furthermore, when considered as a piece of the city, rather than as a piece of the state, the county is called a "borough", and its borough name may be different from its county name, although the boundaries stay the same.

The smallest county is New York County, known as the Borough of Manhattan. It consists largely of Manhattan Island. Across the East River from Manhattan, on the western end of Long Island, are the two largest counties/boroughs of New York City. Queens -- the only one whose county and borough names are identical -- is the largest in area (more than four times the size of Manhattan), and the second largest in population, and Kings County (known as the Borough of Brooklyn) which is second in area (something over three times the size of Manhattan) but first in population.

Long Island City is in Queens.

Brooklyn is -- as made plain by the above -- not Manhattan; asking if Brooklyn is in Manhattan is a little like asking if Arizona is in Los Angeles.

The other locations you named are all in Manhattan, and can be found easily on a map.

As for the sites you list, the Circle Line is not a ferry, but a boat ride. Madame Tussaud's is a branch of what is really a London attraction. The Guggenheim is a very odd choice, as it is by far one of the weaker museums in the city, and would be overlooked if it did not have a well-known building. If you like art generally, the Metropolitan Museum would be the natural choice; if you only like modern art, then the Museum of Modern Art would be far more interesting than the Guggenheim.

Because the subway will take you everywhere, the best locations for hotels are pretty much anywhere in Manhattan south of 96th Street, followed by those hotels in Long Island City that are close to the subway (not all of the LIC hotels are.)

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kind of lost - City Layout and Hotel Locations

The places you plan to visit mostly seem to be mid to uptown......so if that is also where you want to stay....look at the areas on Priceline of CPS,UWS,MW,and maybe TS.

If you don't care about that....and you need not.......all the areas except Brooklyn and Long Is City are in Manhattan.

check out BetterBidding.com and print out their list of Priceline hotels to work from.....it will help alot!

BUT...also check other offers at Quikbook, Travelzoo,Hotelconextion............

a little homework will save alot of time!

Also....watch other posts....NYWHIZ is the expert on hotels and watch for advice she gives!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kind of lost - City Layout and Hotel Locations

"Because the subway will take you everywhere, the best locations for hotels are pretty much anywhere in Manhattan south of 96th Street"

Correction, there is nothing wrong with staying above 96th street. It is as accessiable as other areas.Some areas above 96th street have wonderful Bed and Breakfasts that offer accessiability, wonderful neighbourhoods with great culture, architecture and the atmoshpere of being close to all to sights and sounds.

I live above East 96th Street and from my area there are a lot of undiscovered grounds and great restaurants and bars as well as closeness to Central Park and the Museum mile and short subway ride to other uptown sights.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kind of lost - City Layout and Hotel Locations

NYCforever, the reason I recommended Manhattan below 96th Street is the same reason I did not recommend anything in Brooklyn, or things in Queens other than those in Long Island City near subway stations: travel time to the usual attractions.

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kind of lost - City Layout and Hotel Locations

GreenWhiteBlue, Thanks for the great info on the city layout and the divisions. Thanks to mlr45 and newyorkcityforever as well. You guys are quick.

Please note that we will be landing at EWR at 7:30 PM. It may not be late by any standard. However, I am traveling with a 4 year old and 60+ parents. Will it be advisable to depend on NJ transit to get to the hotel? Just that I am on a tight budget and would like to avoid the cab.

I read that if I post my travel dates and budget, I can get some valuable advice on hotel. So, here are the details:

Dates: 8/12 - 8/16

Budget: $100 or less (icluding tax)

{I am concerned that some of you may laugh by looking at my low budget. "feeling embarrassed"}

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kind of lost - City Layout and Hotel Locations

Sorry to say but for that budget you might not get anything even above 96th street.

You might want to check www.quikbook.com and adjust you budget;

The Ace Hotel has rooms starting at $110.00 it is a fairly new hotel with working out some kinks - but it gets an overall good review.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kind of lost - City Layout and Hotel Locations

Hotel tax adds about 15% to a nightly hotel price so if you want to pay $100 including tax, you're looking for a room for $85/night . That's just not enough for a room in any decent hotel with private bathroom in Manhattan. Even on Priceline, I think the cheapest thing you could find will be $95/night plus tax bringing your total closer to $110.

betterbidding.com

is a website that helps with Priceline bidding and has a list of hotels PL uses. They also have a wins calendar and for your dates, the cheapest thing people have won is the Hudson Hotel in upper midtown/central park south for $95/night plus tax. This is a very nice hotel in a good central location but rooms are VERY small. Assuming there are just 2 of you that can share a bed (and if you're more than 2, Priceline is NOT for you) and you don't get claustrophic in a small room, the Hudson is 3.5* upper midtown. So now you're thinking, well I don't need such a fancy hotel. You don't save that much money bidding on lower level hotels on PL and some of them are really NOT good. Betterbidding and Biddingfortravel.com

have lists of hotels Priceline uses.

There's a new hotel, the Four Points Sheraton Times Square that's on travelzoo.com for $115/night plus tax. It's not on a great street but the location is central.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kind of lost - City Layout and Hotel Locations

I should have added if budget is more important than location, you can probably find something just outside Manhattan closer to your budget that's a train ride away. You'd have to tell us which airport you fly in and out to determine what might work best for you. If there are more than 2 in your party, I'd forget about Manhattan unless you want to consider a hostel.

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kind of lost - City Layout and Hotel Locations

Hi NYWHIZ,

We are flying in and out of EWR. We are party of 4 with 3 adults and a 4-year old kid.

We don't really have to be in Manhattan. Any area that is easily accesible by subway will be ok as we don't see us going back and forth to hotel during the day.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kind of lost - City Layout and Hotel Locations

This may help.

http://www.mustseenewyork.com/hotel-maps.html