We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mid town east side

melbourne
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
mid town east side

east side around 55th street. Just looked at very reasonably priced accomodation in this area, but wondering how quiet this area is and whether there are lots of delis etc around??

thanks

vanoist

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mid town east side

It depends on where in the east side. Which hotel are you looking at.

melbourne
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mid town east side

sutton suites on 55th street-look very reasonable

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mid town east side

Lots--- that is on 2nd Avenue---- I would suggest that you use MAPQUEST.com--- put in the exact address and then when it comes up click on What's nearby--- and put in delis. You will get more specific info.. It is relatively quiet especially if you are comparing it to for instance the Times Sq area.

If this is an apartment--- you may want to check on the legality of it as it is a big issue here. Others can tell you better than I. I just know you need to be careful. Please check it out first.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,942 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mid town east side

The location is fine, the place is not. It's not really a hotel. I think they're probably operating illegaly as a hotel and the reason reviews are so mixed here is it depends on which apartment you get. Have you read the reviews?

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d543513-…

How long will you be here and when? Check radiocityapartments.com

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mid town east side

Good Morning Whiz--- I knew you would know--- it was as I expected.

Bill

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: mid town east side

Sutton Place Suites IS an ILLEGAL rental.

Apparently owner/s of apartment/s in this building are renting apartments that are not Zoned for nightly rental (only monthly).

There have been many violations served and complaints - …nyc.gov/bisweb/ECBQueryByLocationServlet…

Because the NYC Department of Buildings have so many complaints and violations on this property they have red flagged the property and a fines have been issued.

Also, this is a large apartment building with many people calling this building their home.

If other residents see anyone renting these illegal rentals; well lets just say the NYC Department of Building throwing the unwanted nightly renter out of the apartment is least of an issue compared to what they will do.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,416 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mid town east side

Dumb question: with all this information of illegal rentals, why is it on the Trip Advisor hotel page?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mid town east side

I think the answer that you will get is the same as why prostitution is on Craigs List--- money--- but others who care more about this issue can give better answers.... there have been hundreds if not thousands of postings on this subject.

9. Re: mid town east side

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:03 am, June 23, 2009
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: mid town east side

Tripadvisor wants to be number one in travel information (and they are).

They do this by listing any and every property without the research as they do not have the man power.

Unfortunatly they put quantity before quality. That is why the forums are probably the best part of Tripadvisor.

Similar to NYC. We do not have the man power to search out and close down all the illegal rentals. It is up to the New Yorker to scream fire for something to be noticed and attended to.

I always say; it will take a hugh incident to occur before something is really done. Just like the crane that fell on the Upper East Side; only after that incident did the NYC step up inspections and red tape.

So it will take time.