We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help choosing gifts to bring TO New Yorkers...

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Help choosing gifts to bring TO New Yorkers...

This is off-topic, but I'm gonna try posting anyways..

I wonder if some of you wonderful New Yorkers could help me. I'm driving back there next month and I want to come bearing gifts for some new friends there.

The most requested items from here are in the food category and since that's not possible (making some stops along the way to NYC), is there anything you can think of that you would appreciate? Being that you guys have everything there, this is so hard!

And I can't think of a souvenir that isn't cheesy. Any thoughts? If I was bringing you a gift from Montreal, what do you wish it would be?

Thanks! And hurry before I get deleted. LOL

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from $175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from $199.00*
$214.00
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from $83.99*
Best Seller
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from $36.00*
Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help choosing gifts to bring TO New Yorkers...

I'm not a New Yorker, but I love 'squeaky cheese', MomOfTravelers! We get it everytime we visit my husband's family in Quebec with the intent of having it for a treat at home, but it never makes it into Vermont! You don't have to refrigerate the stuff and it's really unique. (my husband's family calls it 'squeaky cheese' because it squeaks when you bit into it.) It's fresh cheddar 'blobs', not aged. Love it!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help choosing gifts to bring TO New Yorkers...

not 'bit into it' but 'bite into it'.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help choosing gifts to bring TO New Yorkers...

I know exactly what you're talking about, interesting - never thought of that one! Cheese curds huh? Ok duly noted. LOL

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help choosing gifts to bring TO New Yorkers...

Your friends might like Maple Srup (I know I do when friends visit)

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help choosing gifts to bring TO New Yorkers...

We get the unsalted cheese curds. Salted are Really salty, imo. The kids from our group in Quebec call them 'les turds du fromage'. They're naughty. ;)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help choosing gifts to bring TO New Yorkers...

Ice wine, macarons (although we can get them here now), bagels if they can be eaten that day.

maple syrup is ridiculously expensive here, so would also be appreciated

Oh - you said driving! Belle Guelle Rousse! I'm not a huge beer person, but this is what I would ask for if someone I knew was driving to/from Quebec.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help choosing gifts to bring TO New Yorkers...

We always bring home a bag of St. Viateur bagels for ourselves. They're not a s good as the fresh, but they help keep out trip memories alive. We also bring a giant box of Timbits for my husband's office. If you put them in a ziplock they'll stay pretty fresh. They always get gobbled up so they can't be too bad. Also any coffe/hot chocolate item from Tim's or Second Cup as we don't have those here.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help choosing gifts to bring TO New Yorkers...

Thanks guys! I would never have thought of this stuff :)

9. Re: Help choosing gifts to bring TO New Yorkers...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, December 20, 2009