We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a nice CLEAN place to stay downtown

Sevierville...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for a nice CLEAN place to stay downtown

My wife and I are going to NY for the first time around spring. Does anyone know of good, clean, not to pricey hotel downtown? Also is the Statue of Liberty worth the trip over, or are you better off viewing it from the park?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Quincy, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a nice CLEAN place to stay downtown

My hubby and I just returned from NYC, the first trip ever, and we we so confused about all the decisions to make. We followed some advice here and booked at the Ramada Inn New Yorker on 8th. Avenue. There is a restuarant in the hotel that was very good and a real plus on cold days. We looked out at the Empire State Building, and it was beautiful. The room was clean, but small, which did not matter to us. The bathroom was old,but very clean, and the maid service was good and prompt. We felt secure, and saw no signs of any crime. The staff was helpful, and polite. We could get a cab in about a minute, and we could walk to anywhere we wanted to walk. We went to three shows, and walked home at night, with no problems. We were in room 3514, and there was no noise in the halls or adjoining rooms. Some people below complained about noisy pipes, but we were above that. We plan to go again next year, Lord willing, and we will probably stay the same place. The prices were equal to what we got. Some reviews were not so hot, but we did well. We are not teenagers, both retired, but encountered no difficulty. Enjoy, it was the greatest trip we have ever taken.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a nice CLEAN place to stay downtown

If you want to stay downtown, check out The Second Home on Second Avenue. It's in the East Village. People who have reviewed it on this page have really liked it. Plus it is reasonably priced. The East Village is a great neighborhood with lots of quirky shops and some good restaurants.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a nice CLEAN place to stay downtown

I know granpeggy is trying to help but the Ramada New Yorker is one of the less desirable hotels in NY. Second Home on Second is a good idea. The Chelsea Lodge also gets decent reviews. If you go to the inns and b & b section on tripadvisor (here) there are also some other places mentioned that sound good. (a place listed under Room to let I think in the village.) The Abingdon Guest House in Greenwich Village is another option.

As to the SOL question, I think it's more worthwhile if you reserve ahead for an observatory tour. Everyone loves the Ellis Island immigration museum.

Sevierville...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a nice CLEAN place to stay downtown

Thanks for the help.

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a nice CLEAN place to stay downtown

We stayed in the Herald Square Hotel near Macys. Nothing special but it was cheap and cheerful. Clean and good sized rooms and for us we regarded it as a good location.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a nice CLEAN place to stay downtown

I've just realized that your idea of "downtown" and mine may be different. Americans use the term to suggest the central area of a city, ie downtown Chicago. However in NYC, downtown is usally considered literally downtown or the southern end of the island from Battery Park up through Tribeca, Soho, lower East Side, Chelsea, the village etc. So all the places I mentioned are south of 34 st. which is an interesting, fairly large area but not typically where most tourists stay. What do you mean Jeremy and what do you consider "not too pricey"?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a nice CLEAN place to stay downtown

I should add, none of the places I mentioned are typical hotels. There is an Embassy Suites, downtown and across from the South Street Seaport that is usually well priced b/c it's not a typical area to stay.